[Commlist] -JERAA Conference CFP

Sun Jul 03 10:38:26 GMT 2022

JERAA CONFERENCE DEADLINE EXTENDED TO AUGUST 1, 2022

Due to popular request, the Journalism Education and Research Association of Australia is extending its call for submissions for its annual conference, which will be hosted by Edith Cowan University and Curtin University, and held at the Pan Pacific Hotel December 6-8, with a postgraduate ECR pre-conference on December 5 (venue for the pre-conference to be announced).

The new submission deadline for paper abstracts and panel proposals is August 1.

Theme: Journalism in Post-Normal Times

The past two years have brought extraordinary challenges that have destabilised practices, institutions, and structures around the world—and journalism has been there to document, communicate and make sense of these challenges. Journalism and journalism education have been pushed to consider social, political, and even psychological extremes in new and complex ways that continue to provoke changes in our pedagogy and our industry. In this conference, we consider the role and reality of journalism and journalism education in these post-normal times as we take stock of where we have been, where we are now and how we can best prepare for the future. We invite conversations that consider the importance of journalism in the age of misinformation and disinformation, and strategies to meet these challenges for practitioners and educators alike.

We especially invite conversations that consider the importance of journalism in the age of misinformation and disinformation, and strategies to meet these challenges for practitioners and educators alike.

We are now calling for abstracts for papers and panel proposals that address the following themes of the conference:

•Diversity in news and journalism

•News and media literacy

•Teaching and reporting on climate change/ climate action

•Constructive journalism

•Press Freedom

•Ethical and legal issues in journalism and journalism education

•Best practice interviewing and reporting

•How can journalism schools best prepare for the future?

•What’s next after podcasting?

•Creative ways to work with industry

•Building resilience and adaptability in the student cohort

•Can trust in journalism be restored?

•Health crisis reporting

•Journalism education during COVID-19

•Capitol riot reporting

•Journalism post-Trump

•Beyond fake news

•Artificial intelligence in reporting

•Data journalism in the 2020s

•Google, Newscorp and journalism

oAny other journalism related papers are also welcome.

Deadline August 1.

Individual paper abstracts should be no more than 300 words, including title, author/s and affiliation, bio, abstract and keywords.

Panel proposals should include a 200-word overview, with 200 words from each participant on their contribution, as well as panel title, author/s and affiliation and keywords.

For further questions please contact the conference chair (laura.glitsos /at/ ecu.edu.au)

Submissions for papers and panels can be sent directly to (laura.glitsos /at/ ecu.edu.au)