[Commlist] CFP: ​Television and COVID-19

Wed Jun 15 14:46:23 GMT 2022

Iluminace 1/2023
Television and COVID-19: How to Deal with Global Pandemics While Broadcasting
(Deadline September 30, 2022)
Guest Editor: Jana Jedličková

One reason that COVID-19 is a global issue is that it has significantly influenced our everyday experience, our daily routines, and even imprinted itself into our social behaviour and cultural practice. Though it only appeared as recently as the autumn of 2019 and spread worldwide in the winter of 2020, the virus has already become a fixed part of our shared social reality. It ultimately even reached a point where not only had almost every living human being at least heard of COVID-19, they most probably consumed some content that directly or indirectly reflected upon our own pandemic-related experiences. While it certainly can be viewed as a disruptive element in our shared lives, the global pandemic can also present an opportunity for new ways of making social connections and giving rise to new cultural practices and shared experiences. Television (including online streaming platforms and VOD portals) is a medium that equally occupies the private and public spheres, and thus not only enables constructed reflections of COVID-19 and its cultural and social meanings in our lives, it also creates new interpretations and meanings of the disruptive existence of global pandemics.

Therefore, the following issue of Iluminace is focused on the topic of television and TV industries dealing with COVID-19. We invite global, national, regional, or other studies, case studies, academic reflections, etc., focusing on COVID-19 and its influence (or presence) on TV and audio-visual industries, with possible topics including but not limited to:

·COVID-19 (or absence of) as a theme of contemporary TV content
·narrative strategies, online communication, and TV content targeting young viewers
·comfort TV framed through COVID-19 pandemic
·educational and documentary TV formats, reality TV, and/or live TV and COVID-19
·reporting COVID-19 news on TV
·watching and streaming TV in the age of COVID-19
·new production and distribution strategies of contemporary TV programming resulting from national lockdowns and ·health protection regulations
·role of PSB in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic
·COVID-19 resulting in innovative TV programming strategies, targeting new audiences, launching new streaming ·services and TV channels (or rebranding old ones) ·TV and live arts (music industry and theatre especially) as an example of crisis cooperation due to the COVID-19 ·pandemic
·technology and COVID-19 in TV broadcasting and streaming
·contemporary TV trends influenced by COVID-19

For further inspiration, see the literature, podcast, and blog examples of semi- or fully academic reflections on COVID-19 in TV industries cited at https://www.iluminace.cz <https://www.iluminace.cz>.

Please send an abstract (250 words) and a short bio (150 words) to (lucie.cesalkova /at/ nfa.cz) <mailto:(lucie.cesalkova /at/ nfa.cz)> and (ja.jedlickova /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(ja.jedlickova /at/ gmail.com)> by June 20, 2022. The authors will be informed of the decision by June 30, 2022. The deadline for submitting the full article is September 30, 2022. No payments are required.