[Commlist] Horrifying Children cfp

Tue Apr 05 13:02:10 GMT 2022

*Horrifying Children: Hauntology and the Legacy of Children’s Fiction - A TV, Literature and Popular Culture Symposium *

*21^st May, 2022*

**

**extended* deadline for submissions: *

April 22^nd , 2022

*full name / name of organization: *

Robert Edgar and Lauren Stephenson

York St John University

*contact email: *

(l.stephenson /at/ yorksj.ac.uk)

We are pleased to announce that we will be hosting a symposium at the YSJ Creative Centre, York St John University.

The daytime Horrifying Symposium event is free to attend, and refreshments are provided.

We are delighted to welcome keynote speakers Dr. Catherine Lester (University of Birmingham), with ‘Bloody Bunnies: How Watership Down traumatised a generation’, and Diane Rodgers (Sheffield Hallam University) with ‘Generation HeXed’.**

Our symposium is intended to span academic and popular responses to horrifying children’s fiction from the late-20^th Century. We would welcome contributions from academics, practitioners, broadcasters, writers and fans, reflecting on experiences of, and advancing new perspectives on, horrifying children’s fiction. Proposals can be for critical papers and other mixed-mode presentations and submissions that blur the boundaries.

We also want to hear your stories. There will be a section of the symposium dedicated to readings of your creative fiction, non-fiction and original stories.

Children’s television programmes will be at the heart of the symposium, but we are interested in the relationship between television and:

•       Literature

•       Heritage

•       Popular culture (such as board games)

•       Magazines

•       Popular music

•       Theatre

We would also be interested in proposals for papers on texts such as Scarfolk Council, which seek to represent the late-20^th Century now.

Themes might include:

•       Heritage: an Edwardian childhood in the 1970 & 1980s

•       National identity/identities

•       Adaptation and the interplay between text and image

•       The threat of …

•       Impending war and destruction

•       Watching what we shouldn’t have seen

•       The weird amongst the ordinary

•       The wiccan and supernatural

•       Hauntology and the haunted

•       The pagan and sacrifice

•       The folk horror revival

•       Other dimensions

•       The rural vs the urban

•       The legacy of post-war urban landscapes

•       Science-fiction futures and dystopia

•       Signals of ecological breakdown

•       Adults as failures and the collapse of authority

•       Adult fear in children’s fiction

•       Innocence and the adult world

•       The alien within

*Abstracts for critical papers should be 200-250 words. Papers will be 20 minutes in length.*

*Abstracts for creative proposals should be 100-150 words. The length of the finished piece to be negotiated.*

Abstracts may also be considered for a forthcoming edited collection. Please indicate within your abstract if you are proposing a paper for the symposium only.

*We are /very/ excited that we will also be joined by Scarred for Life (@ScarredForLife2) who will be presenting their live show to finish the day on a horrifying note.*

Access our Eventbrite here <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/horrifying-children-hauntology-and-the-legacy-of-childrens-fictions-tickets-257802362807>.