[Commlist] 4S 2022 Open Panel Call for Papers: Learning Infrastructures

Thu Mar 31 08:18:23 GMT 2022

4S 2022 Open Panel Call for Papers: Learning Infrastructures
December 7-10, Cholula Mexico
Conference details: https://www.4sonline.org/

Submissions: https://www.4sonline.org/meeting/accepted-open-panels/

Deadline: April 14

Learning Infrastructures (Panel 73)

Jeremy Hunsinger, Wilfrid Laurier University

Zachary McDowell, University of Illinois at Chicago

Learning infrastructures entail multiple meanings. On the one hand, it
is the infrastructures that support learning, and on the other, it is
also how we learn about infrastructures (writ large). First, exploring
the infrastructures of learning helps to develop answers to the
question, "what infrastructures do learning require in our
contemporary world?" The second inquires how we learn about
infrastructures and all that they entail.

The tension between these meanings highlights one of central problems
of infrastructure studies - Infrastructure studies as a field has the
thesis of Invisibility. Infrastructure fades from our vision and
memories, and accordingly fades as a research topic as it becomes
naturalized and culturalized to become part of the background
operations of our everyday life; simply put, infrastructure becomes
invisible in everyday life. We all face the duty of making
infrastructures visible and concrete to our respective audiences in
order to legitimize the infrastructures and our practices surrounding
them.

For over 20 years, learning infrastructures have transformed
dramatically toward a more plural set of practices, methods, systems,
and tools. Some more liberatory, and some not - some democratic,
others lean authoritarian. The accidental experience of learning
infrastructures is that like everything else they are part of the
technica/social/hidden/etc. curriculum, and students learn them as
much or more than the stated curriculum itself.’

We seek papers that engage questions of learning infrastructures, not
only in the meanings that we provide, but across all valences of the
topic.

Please provide a short abstract around 250 words in proposal for this
panel. Submitted through the 4s submission system linked from here:
https://www.4sonline.org/meeting/call-for-submissions/