[Commlist] IPCC 2022 - Interdisciplinary PhD Communication Conference on Transitions cfp

Mon Mar 21 16:14:04 GMT 2022

*Call for Submissions*

Interdisciplinary PhD Communication Conference
*IPCC 2022 on TRANSITIONS*
Online - May 13-14,  2022
Organized by Istanbul Bilgi University PhD in Communication Program

Deadline: March 28th, 2022

T*RANSITIONS... *
Transitions and dichotomies can often conceptually define the process of communication and communication technologies and the pertinent ways through which we labor, resist, and do research: online vs. offline, analog vs. digital, human vs. robot, public vs. private, political upheavals, neoliberalization of academia, transposing methodologies and scholarly learning methods. It is not always explicit however if we experience or perceive these dichotomies and transitions as either the locations of departure or arrival. There is always a degree of uncertainty while taking on the transitions as such, while questioning the effects and the relevance of the alleged departure point or while offering a conceptual understanding of the transitions we personally and as a community go through.

How should we think about the changing landscape of communication, laboring and social relations? And what might be the ethical implications? How should we reflect on being on-off-on-off-online? What is the relationship, if there is, between the analog and digital ways of social conduct and research? How to think about vulnerability and resilience in relation to digital/analog spaces divide? What are the changing norms of sharing and transmitting meaning? What does it mean to be ‘in communication’? Can it be a singular activity? What are the effects of such transitions on learning and research methods? And overall, should we consider transition as a matter of transfer, adaptation, co-existence, contradiction, transformation, or synthesis?

We are inviting paper abstracts and proposals for panels and round tables that revolve around, but not limited to, the following areas:

*Transitions in Research and Learning Methods*:
Quasi long-distance research
Digital ethnography
Pedagogies

*Transitions in Labor and Leisure:*
Changing landscapes and norms of labor
Dating, and online dating norms
Producing and storytelling, streaming and gatekeeping
Data as labor

*Transitions in Space:*
Transition of home, office, school, room, breakout room
Social relations and the digital as a transformative space
Queer spaces

*Transitions in Sharing:*
Facts and fake news, the norm of sharing, humor and transgression
Arguing, quarreling and reconciling in online spaces
Representation
Datafication

*Transitions of the Self:*
Reconsidering experience and embodiment, also in research conduct
Transition of the self as a researcher/positionality
On/off self and identity

*Transitions in Politics:*
Platformization of politics
Resistance and activism
Resilience and vulnerability

We invite PhD students or candidates as well as early-career researchers with PhDs earned in the last 5 years, who are interested in taking a step back or forward to re-think about the implications of the transitions within their field of interest, to submit their proposal and join the discussion.

We accept individual submission of a paper proposal, panel and round table proposal. Kindly send your submissions to (ipcc /at/ bilgi.edu.tr) with an extended abstract of 500-750 words and a bio of 100 words by Monday, March 15th, 2022.

A selection of papers presented in IPCC 2019 and IPCC 2020 were published as a special issue of "Rethinking communication research methodologies: Interdisciplinary Ph.D. Communication Conference (IPCC)" in /Interactions Studies in Communication & Culture, 2020/, Volume 11, Issue 1. An edited collection titled /Collaborations: Concepts, Contexts, and Inquiry in Communication /compiled from the IPCC 2021 on Collaborations is under review by a major international publishing company. The papers presented in IPCC 2022 will be taken under consideration for a special issue and/or edited collection following the conference.

*How can you apply?*

Individual submission of a paper proposal should include an extended abstract of 500-750 words and a short bio of 100 words.

Panels with 3-4 paper presentations should consist of the panel title with a 500-750 words rationale followed by 150 words abstract of each paper presentations and short bios of the participants. Discussants can also be identified with a short bio.

A roundtable session provides an opportunity for participants to get together and explore issues related to the theme of the conference in an informal yet structured setting. If you are interested in hosting a round table, you can submit a topic or possible questions along with a 400-500 words rationale and a 100 words short bio of the facilitator(s).

Submissions will be notified via email by April, 15th.

We look forward to receiving your contributions.

For further information: https://ipcc.bilgi.edu.tr/ <https://ipcc.bilgi.edu.tr/>