[Commlist] Call for contribution 'Imaginary Cities': Los Angeles in Music Cultures (Routledge Music)

Fri Mar 11 13:36:31 GMT 2022

We are looking for contribution to the forthcoming edited collection ‘Imaginary Cities’: Los Angeles in Music Cultures edited by Dr. Sébastien Darchen, Dr. Damien Charrieras and Dr. John Willsteed to be published by Routledge (Music). See previous edited collection ‘Electronic Cities’ https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-981-33-4741-0). Confirmed collaborators include Professor Roger Keil (York University), Dr. Robin Bloch and L.A punk icon Patricia Morrison (Ex-Bags and Ex-Gun Club). Please read the abstract below for more information about the book project. If you are interested in contributing, we would ask you to submit a title and 200 words abstract for your proposed chapter before April 1st 2022 to: (s.darchen /at/ uq.edu.au)

The editors will then get in touch to discuss further the content of your chapter. (6,000 words limit including references). We are particularly interested in contribution for the following music cultures (and bands). Other L.A music cultures and bands might be considered.
-	Psychedelic rock (ex: The Doors)
-	Glam rock (ex: The Runaways)
-	Punk rock (ex: X)
-	Nu metal (ex: Rage Against the Machine)
Book Abstract:

This edited collection analyzes popular music artefacts such as lyrics and song titles (textscape), sounds, melodies, rhythms (soundscape), visual images in record covers, videos and merchandise (landscape) to make sense of the ‘Imaginary cities’ portrayed by a variety of music cultures from L.A. The aim is to establish a dialogue between music cultures in L.A and selected urban themes (ex: feminist urbanism, social upheaval, etc.) and to connect this discussion to the reality of L.A at the time. We argue that music cultures create ‘Imaginary cities’ but are also constitutive of the urban fabric. The collection is exploring this two-way process. It also includes semi-directed interviews with musicians, music writers and urban theorists to further develop this dialogue between music cultures and urban studies. Ultimately, the collection speculates on the future of Los Angeles as a city and its associated music cultures given the current urban challenges of the global pandemic and climate change.