[Commlist] Call for Papers: Symposium: Similarity, Selection and Influence

Thu Mar 10 10:08:54 GMT 2022

Call for Papers:

Similarity, Selection and Influence

    A Cross-Disciplinary Symposium on Homophily in Social Networks

/7 and 8 July 2022 | Online/hybrid (Groningen, the Netherlands)/

/Submissions due: May 15, 2022 | Notification due: May 31, 2022 /

/Fee: €50/

*ABOUT *

We are pleased to announce the Call for Papers for the symposium “Similarity, Selection and Influence: A Cross-Disciplinary Symposium on Homophily in Social Networks”. The two-day symposium will feature workshops, live panels, paper presentations and networking events.

We invite papers byPhD studentsand early career researchers(within 5 years post PhD conferral) with an interest in network science. We welcome both quantitative and qualitative original submissions that expand our understanding of homophily in social networks across many fields, including (but not limited to): Communication, Media Studies, History, Sociology, Political Science, Philosophy, Journalism and Artificial Intelligence.

Keynote speakers: dr. Bernie Hogan (University of Oxford) & dr.  Miranda Lubbers (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona). Workshops: Network visualisation by dr. Gert Stulp (University of Groningen) & Qualitative Structural Analysis, by dr. Andreas Herz (Deutsches Jugendinstitut).

*TOPICS OF INTEREST *We invite papers dealing with network homophily in topics including, but not limited to, the following:

  *

    Communication (including social media)

  *

    Political polarisation

  *

    Migration and transnationalism

  *

    Climate change and environment

  *

    History & Culture (including networks in literature and arts)

  *

    Organisation and business

  *

    Network methods (e.g., neural networks, agent-based modelling,
    qualitative network analysis)

*SUBMISSION DETAILS *Abstracts of max. 2500 characters (± 500 words) can be submitted through the abstract submission form <https://forms.gle/RaBMusZuSRuBUTvXA>. If you would like to attend without submitting an abstract, please subscribe using theattendance form <https://forms.gle/TCVZgDC9rP9gqbd57>.

*PUBLICATIONS *A selection of the best submissions will receive an invitation to submit their work to an interdisciplinary journal on social networks (TBA).

ORGANISING COMMITTEE

  *

    Marc Esteve Del Valle, PhD (University of Groningen, Centre for
    Media and Journalism Studies)

  *

    Silvia Donker, MA (University of Groningen, History of Philosophy
    and Science)

  *

    Sean White, PhD (University College Groningen, Business &
    Entrepreneurship)

  *

    Franco Ruzzenenti, PhD (University of Groningen, Faculty of Science
    and Engineering)

  *

    Susan Aasman, PhD (University of Groningen, Director Centre for
    Digital Humanities)

The symposium is organised by The Patio <http://www.thepatio.network/>, an Interdisciplinary Research Group on Social Networks, and the Centre for Digital Humanities <https://www.rug.nl/research/research-let/expertisecentra/centre-for-digital-humanities/about-the-centre/>, both located at the University of Groningen (the Netherlands).

We encourage participation from researchers of all disciplines and especially from traditionally underrepresented groups in Academia.

The symposium will be held in hybrid form due to possible COVID-19 restrictions. Online as well as in-person attendance is possible.

For more information and updates, visit www.thepatio.network <http://www.thepatio.network/>. Questions? (thepationetwork /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(thepationetwork /at/ gmail.com)>