[Commlist] The Comic Studies Society Conference cfp

Wed Feb 16 05:24:16 GMT 2022

The Comic Studies Society Conference Submission Deadline has been *extended to March 4th*! We warmly welcome abstract submissions from Communication and Media Studies scholars. Below is our CFP:

Call for Papers: DEADLINE EXTENDED

COMICS STUDIES SOCIETY CONFERENCE, JULY 28-30, 2022

In collaboration with Michigan State University

East Lansing, MI

COLLECTIONS, ARCHIVES, CULTURES

The fifth annual Comics Studies Society conference returns to an in-person format in 2022 at Michigan State University, home of the massive Murray and Hong Comic Art Collection. To mark this location and collaboration, we propose that the concepts of collections, archives, and their various cultures mark our gathering. What does it mean to form a collection, to curate a comics community, or inhabit collecting or archival cultures? What are the politics of collecting? What gets included, what gets discarded, and who gets to decide, and how? How do comics communities coalesce around collections, and how do they in turn create new ones that challenge those that have taken shape before them? We encourage our members to engage with these questions and concepts as they relate to their own innovative work in comics studies. We are particularly interested in proposals that address these questions of comics collections, archives, and cultures, and we especially welcome international approaches to this theme, though all submitted proposals will receive full consideration for inclusion in the conference program.

In recognition of some members’ preference for virtual participation in this year’s conference, we will accept proposals for virtual papers, panels, and roundtable discussions for a limited number of slots. Please also note that all presenters and attendees will be required to demonstrate proof of full vaccination (two shots and a booster) in order to participate in in-person events.

Guidelines for Submission

We are accepting submissions for the following:

1. Individual papers (20 min., presented in person or virtually)

2. Panels of three papers (presented in person or virtually)

3. Roundtables of short (5 min.) presentations by 4-5 presenters followed by discussion (presented in person or virtually)

4. Pop-ups (as panels, roundtables, talks, tours, etc.) related to archives and collections (presented virtually and later archived on the CSS website)

All proposals should be sent as Word files by email by March 4, 2022**to:

(comicsstudiesorg /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(comicsstudiesorg /at/ gmail.com)>

The conference organizers will send out notifications of acceptance by the middle of March. Confirmation of intent to participate and copies of vaccination cards will be due by the end of March in order for accepted presenters to appear in the program. Please add our conference email to your trusted senders to ensure email delivery. A presenter's name may appear twice in the program. All presenters must be members of the Comics Studies Society at the time of registration. For more information on the Comic Studies Society, please check our website at http://comicsstudies.org/ <http://comicsstudies.org/>.