[Commlist] Visible Evidence XXVIII - cfp

Thu Jan 13 20:16:26 GMT 2022

The portals for the submission (with some additional suggestions for topics) for the Visible Evidence XVIII conference (/Images of History/) to take place in Gdansk this summer are unveiled below. Our vision is that the meeting will be a space which is rigorous and non-patriarchal, solid but fluid, safe but inclusive and bold. We do hope you will join us in person, or online if needed.

https://www.visibleevidence.org/the-xxviii-visible-evidence-conference-cfp/ <https://www.visibleevidence.org/the-xxviii-visible-evidence-conference-cfp/>

As mentioned previously, and in accordance with the VE traditions, there will be a number of shared plenary sessions with keynotes *Elizabeth Cowie, Michael Renov , Malgorzata Radkiewicz* and myself. We can confirm that the very brilliant and controversial filmmaker *Penny Lane* will be one of our special guests.

Please note that the conference will strive to be as COVID safe as possible, and we will ask all attendees to present vaccination certificates at the registration. All the rooms will be fully ventilated.  We will have as many events outside including receptions and some open-air screenings. Our aspiration is to have a lot of fun as well as a serious scholarly debate as in these grim times we need to celebrate our freedoms and our tenacity. Your registration will include lunches and coffee, and wine receptions every evening of the conference, including one at the famous European Solidarity Centre where you will both watch classic documentaries from the period of Solidarity but also meet some of its heroes in person and toast their courage!

 In terms of the online participation, we invite the pre-constituted panels to think in terms of two people ‘in person’ and two online for example. All plenary events will be streamed. Those who intend to come in person, please mark on your application if you are happy to chair a panel. We aim to be as inclusive as possible in every way. The deadline for the submissions is *28^th February and we will let you know by 28^th March at the latest* if your proposal has been accepted – and we do want to accept as many colleagues as we can.

We will consider any application for a registration fee reduction or a full fee waiver if need be, particularly for the research students and early career researchers.

We will be sharing some suggestions for accommodation in due course but just to encourage you:  Gdansk, and the area around it, is a beautiful holiday resort, so the accommodation of every kind is plentiful, although it is advisable to book early.