[Commlist] ICA pre-conference CFP. "One World, Many Voices: The Future of Sports Communication"

Tue Jan 11 14:37:20 GMT 2022

Please consider proposing a paper for the ICA pre-conference, "One World, Many Voices: The Future of Sports Communication”.

*Call for Papers: *The Sports Communication Interest Group (SCIG) is proud to partner with the International Association for Communication and Sport (IACS) for a one-day pre-conference. “One World, Many Voices: The Future of Sports Communication” will be held on site at one of the ICA hotels in Paris on Thursday, May 26, 2022. Thanks to sponsorship from the Center for Sports Communication & Media at The University of Texas at Austin, there is no cost to attend to the pre-conference.

The growth of sports communication research has been rapid and productive. However, the field remains over-represented by scholars in western, English-speaking countries and by a topical interest in the most visible and influential sports (e.g., association football, basketball, the Olympics, etc.). “One World, Many Voices” endeavors to expand the geographical and topical scope of sports communication scholarship, with particular attention to work featuring the Global South and less familiar sporting activities. We welcome proposals that attend to sport in Africa, Asia, and South America, especially from scholars native to or residing within these continents. Collaborations are encouraged, especially for scholars located in the Global North. We also seek proposals that feature sports outside of highly commercialized, mediated contexts. This may include lesser-known professional, youth, local, recreational, and/or indigenous sports. All methods and theories welcomed.

The pre-conference will be divided into two halves. During the morning sessions, accepted proposals will be scheduled for two panels: one featuring new geographical orientations and one featuring new topical orientations. During the afternoon sessions, participants (including those not presenting in the morning) will self-select into working groups to discuss possibilities for future research. Topics for organizing these groups will be determined by the work presented during the morning session.

In concert with our goal to expand the geographical and topical diversity of sports communication research, we hope to use the pre-conference as an opportunity to facilitate publication. If the depth and breadth of submissions warrants it, we will coordinate with Communication & Sport for a special issue.

To submit a proposal, please provide an extended abstract (no more than 1,000 words) describing the project. Part of your abstract should include an explicit statement explaining how your scholarship will contribute to diversifying the geographical and topical scope of the sports communication subfield. Submissions may be sent directly by email to the SCIG Vice-Chair, Michael Butterworth, at: (michael.butterworth /at/ austin.utexas.edu) <mailto:(michael.butterworth /at/ austin.utexas.edu)>. Submissions must be received by *Monday, January 17, 2022.*