Archive for calls, June 2022

[Commlist] CFP Conference Queer Cinema in the World

Mon Jun 20 16:10:12 GMT 2022

*CFP X GECA INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE: QUEER CINEMA AROUND THE WORLD*

This conference examines how international queer cinema has changed over time, how it continues to evolve in the present and what role it could play in the future in constructing imaginaries, posing plural images and challenging the stereotypes, narratives and aesthetics that other types of cinema disseminate. In this sense, we want to offer possible answers to the questions posed by a term -"queer cinema"- that is difficult to translate in the Spanish-speaking context: are we talking about films directed by LGBTIQ+ directors and/or about films that place the representation of lesbian, gay, bi, intersex or trans identities at the centre? Or are we talking about films whose audiovisual language challenges the aesthetics and visuality of Hollywood cinema? "Queer Cinema around the World" is an international conference in *hybrid format *(online and face-to-face) that will take place on *October 5th, 6th and 7th 2022 at the Faculty of Information Sciences of the Complutense University of Madrid*.

Thus, we are interested in queer cinema as a cultural product capable of creating worlds and of intervening in the existing debates surrounding gender, sexuality, identity, equality, the national, the transnational and the global. In this sense, we start from an understanding of queer cinema from two dimensions: content (the representation of non-cisheteronormative subjectivities) and form; in the words of Teresa de Lauretis, we define a film as queer from the formal perspective insofar as it "not only works against narrativity, the generic pressure of all narrative toward closure and the fulfillment of meaning, but also pointedly disrupts the referentiality of language and the referentiality of images " (2011, p. 244). Furthermore, we use the term "queer" not as a synonym for LGBT, but as what is*positioned in opposition to the normal and normative rather than the cisheterosexual* (Warner, 1993), and which also connotes an anti-racist, anti-capitalist, anti-binary and anti-ableist position. In this way, in this conference we will also cover the study of those bodies and desires that have been constructed as socially unacceptable, but that do not necessarily fit the LGBTI label, such as non-normative sexual practices, BDSM or incestuous drives. From this idea of queer as non-normative, we also propose to analyse what kind of aesthetic mechanisms break with the norms of the cinematic language of the Institutional Mode of Representation (Burch, 1989); therefore, we invite proposals that have to do with the relationship between queer cinema and haptic visuality, the cinema of affects, slow cinema or the intersections between arthouse cinema and the mainstream.

This conference aims to represent a multiplicity of queer experiences, covering divergent historical, aesthetic, thematic and geographical areas of representation, as well as trying to offer an approach to the plurality of ideas of what the term "queer cinema" means today. We do so from an intersectional perspective that also contemplates the representation of other identity vectors such as race, class, age or functional diversity; we also aim to establish a dialogue on the cinematic representations of queerness not only from Europe and North America, but also from other geographies, with an emphasis on the Ibero-American world.

By way of description, but not exhaustively, we invite submissions on the following issues:

● Representations of gay, lesbian, bisexual, intersex, queer and non-binary subjectivities, with special emphasis on trans cinema. ● International queer cinema, partiularly regarding Spanish and Latin American productions
●  Queer film aesthetics
● LGBTIQ+ filmmakers around the world
● Queer film production: between commercial and independent cinema
● Reception and audience studies: LGBITQ+ festivals, fandom networks, etc.
● Queer fashion films / uses of fashion in queer cinema
● Intersections between literature, art, music and queer cinema
● Queer research methodologies in film studies
●  Representations of non-LGBT forbidden desires: non-normative sexual practices, BDSM, cybersexualities, incestuous drives, etc.

The *registration fee* for the 10th GECA International Conference: Queer Cinema in the World is*€30 for students* who can prove their status and*€70 for all other participants.* The *deadline for sending us your proposals* (title of the paper + abstract of 300 words maximum + brief curriculum vitae)*to (info.geca /at/ ucm.es) <mailto:(info.geca /at/ ucm.es)> is September 15th 2022. *

All interested participants are eligible to publish their paper in the thematic dossier of the journal Estudios LGBTIQ+, Comunicación y Cultura <https://revistas.ucm.es/index.php/ESLG> to be published in June 2023; the deadline for submission of the full text (in English, Spanish or Portuguese) is January 15th, 2023.