[Commlist] cfp: Exclusions in the History and Historiography of Communication Studies precon

Sat Mar 20 12:42:00 GMT 2021

Invitation to an ICA Preconference: Exclusions in the History and Historiography of Communication Studies

International Communication Association

Remote Preconference

26 & 27 May, 2021

Organizers: David W. Park, Jefferson Pooley, Peter Simonson

Last year we distributed a call for papers in pursuit of a pre-conference that would respond to our historical moment when we should be "intensively interrogating patterns of exclusion and hegemony that have continued to constitute it: around global region (de-Westernizing, theory from the South, persistent patterns of American influence/hegemony), race (#communicationsowhite), gender (#metoo, #gendercom, Matilda effects,), and indigeneity/colonization (postcolonial and decolonial initiatives)." After receiving an abundance of excellent submissions, we are happy to say that we have now programmed a pre-conference that very much lives up to this promise. This pre-conference is animated by papers that benefit from a rigorous application of historical methods and a focused application of the concept of exclusion. The papers in this pre-conference interrogate patterns of exclusion, focusing in particular on exclusion as it pertains to-individually and in concert with each other-gender, political identity, race, intellectual traditions, patterns of colonialism, geography, and methodology. The presenters come from diverse geographical and intellectual backgrounds, and in service to a more inclusive vision for our pre-conference, the pre-conference will be robustly bilingual, with simultaneous interpretation in Spanish and English.

[...]

We hope you will join us on May 26 & 27, 2021. You can see the preliminary program for the pre-conference here:

https://hms.mediastudies.press/pub/schedule/release/3

You need not be an ICA member or a registered attendee of ICA 2021 to register for the pre-conference. You can register here:

https://www.icahdq.org/event/PC-History

If you have questions about any of this, please feel free to contact Dave Park at: (park /at/ lakeforest.edu)