[Commlist] CfP 4S Conference 2021: 89 “Food for care: Interrogating practices of eating in troubled worlds”

Fri Feb 12 17:18:51 GMT 2021

Alexandra Endaltseva and Anne Dupuy would like to invite you to submit proposals for their Open panel 89: “Food for care: Interrogating practices of eating in troubled worlds” at the 4S/Society for the Social Studies of Science Annual Meeting in Toronto and Worldwide on October 6-9, 2021.

https://www.4sonline.org/meeting/ <https://www.4sonline.org/meeting/>

https://www.4sonline.org/89-food-for-care-interrogating-practices-of-eating-in-troubled-worlds/ <https://www.4sonline.org/89-food-for-care-interrogating-practices-of-eating-in-troubled-worlds/>

Organizers and contacts:

Alexandra Endaltseva, CERTOP CNRS (France), (aendalts /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(aendalts /at/ gmail.com)>

Anne Dupuy, CERTOP CNRS (France), (anne.dupuy /at/ univ-tlse2.fr) <mailto:(anne.dupuy /at/ univ-tlse2.fr)>

Deadline:March 8, 2021

About 4S Meeting 2021 and submission logistics

4S Annual Meeting, 6-9 October, Toronto and Worldwide - "Good Relations.

Practices and Methods in Unequal and Uncertain Worlds."

https://www.4sonline.org/meeting/call-for-submissions/ <https://www.4sonline.org/meeting/call-for-submissions/>

Abstract:

89. “Food for care: Interrogating practices of eating in troubled worlds”

How care manifests (or not) in everyday encounters with food and practices of eating in? How to nourish relations of care while nourishing the bodies? Studies from STS, food anthropology, and sociology present a variety of accounts of food-induced socialites and socio-material relations (production challenges, security and environmental change, boundaries between the eater and the eaten, digitalisation and platformization of food, etc). This panel attends to the mundane and everyday instances of relating to, with and through eating. Mundane encounters with food manifest social class, gendered work division, colonial attitudes, socio-economic inequalities, and the moral balance between health and pleasure. Responsibilization of eating and cooking transforms the kitchen and the dining table into a boundary terrain for public health campaigns, environmental concerns, and hedonistic searches for pleasure. This panel asks what is or can be neglected as we care for what and how we eat? Especially as sanitary regimes of lockdowns, confinements, and curfews forefront eating in and intensify invisible work. We invite multidisciplinary works which tackle eating as a learned, trained, proceduralized, and performed practice shaping relations to science, governance, health, pleasure, solidarity, and care. We welcome attention to the embodied aspect of eating and cooking, including interactions with products, elements, instruments, and technology. Following food studies scholars, submissions may be analytically focused on three points and their interrelations: social occasions, food selections, and processes of body incorporation. Finally, we are curious about methodological and speculative reflections on the transformative side of research into the practices of eating.

Keywords:eating practices, care work, health and pleasure, invisible work, responsibilization

For details and questions

Alexandra Endaltseva, CERTOP CNRS (France),

(aendalts /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(aendalts /at/ gmail.com)>

(alexandra.endaltseva /at/ univ-tlse2.fr) <mailto:(alexandra.endaltseva /at/ univ-tlse2.fr)>