[Commlist] CFP Online Symposium: Masculinity in Times of Change 20-22 September 2021

Mon Jan 25 23:11:26 GMT 2021

*MASCNET: Masculinity Sex and Popular Culture Network *

*In collaboration with *

*Men in Movement 5: Intersectional Masculinities and Feasible Futures***

**

*Masculinity in Times of Change*

*Online symposium*

*20^th to 22^nd September 2021*

*Call for Papers*

We are living through a period of profound change and the title of our third symposium event seems more timely than we could have imagined.

The covid pandemic and the global political and social response to it, the aftermath of the election in the US, UK leaving the EU, the climate crisis, the black lives matter movement, metoo, the growth of online extremism, so called ‘cancel culture’ all constitute a turbulent context in which ideas around gender, sexuality and identity collide with the dynamics of economics, politics and ideology.

What sense can we make of masculinity in these contexts?

Following on from the success of our two previous physical network events in Birmingham (May 2019) and on masculinity and body image and Berlin (January 2020) our third symposium event will be held online to enable as many people as possible to engage with the work of network.

The symposium is designed to share a breadth of scholarship and set an agenda for future research and collaborations.**We intend to address some of the following themes:**

  * Masculinities under pandemic conditions
  * Masculinities and economic and social crisis
  * Masculinities and the environment
  * Reconfiguring hegemonic masculinities
  * Queer masculinities, queer temporalities
  * Oppositional and anti-normative masculinities
  * Neoliberal masculinities
  * ‘New’ masculinities
  * Digital masculinities
  * Masculinities and sexual violence
  * Trans masculinities
  * Masculinities and the TERF wars
  * The future for masculinities

We invite individual papers, pre-constituted panels, poster presentations, video presentations, or short performance pieces that address the theme of the symposium. We very much welcome imaginative alternative modes of presentation, the presentation of creative works, performance and screenings.

These are topics that relate popular debate and media reportage, educators and policy makers and we are keen to involve practitioners and non-academics in our discussions and events.

MASCNET is a 24-month AHRC funded research network explores the pervasiveness of sexualized masculine embodiment across contemporary popular culture, and sets an ambitious agenda for subsequent research. The network steering group includes Begonya Enguix, Joao Florencio, Jamie Hakim, Mark McGlashan, Peter Rehberg and Florian Voros.

Please send a 300-word abstract and short bio (max. 100 words)to Professor John Mercer (john.mercer /at/ bcu.ac.uk) <mailto:(john.mercer /at/ bcu.ac.uk)>and Professor Clarissa Smith (clarissa2.smith /at/ northumbria.ac.uk) <mailto:(clarissa2.smith /at/ northumbria.ac.uk)>

Deadline for proposals Friday 7^th May 2021

Attendance will be free.