Archive for calls, May 2021

[Commlist] CfP Fighting Boxing's Narratives

Sun May 09 14:14:44 GMT 2021

PUBLIC / CYHOEDDUS

We would like to invite abstracts for chapters to be included in our edited collection,*/Fighting Boxing’s Narratives/*. We intend to submit the proposal to Routledge in July 2021. The editors at Routledge have expressed initial interest in the project. We welcome abstracts from any disciplinary background. We actively encourage submissions from contributors from the Global South. *______*

__ __

*Abstracts of 300-500 words*should be submitted by*June 11, 2021,*to Solomon Lennox at:(solomon.lennox /at/ northumbria.ac.uk) <mailto:(solomon.lennox /at/ northumbria.ac.uk)>____

__ __

Further information is outlined below. Please contact either of the editors for informal enquiries:____

__ __

Sarah Crews (University of South Wales, Wales, UK):(sarah.crews2 /at/ southwales.ac.uk) <mailto:(sarah.crews2 /at/ southwales.ac.uk)>____

Solomon Lennox (Northumbria University, UK):(solomon.lennox /at/ northumbria.ac.uk) <mailto:(solomon.lennox /at/ northumbria.ac.uk)>____

__ __

*_Fighting Boxing’s Narratives_____*

*______*

Boxing is understood through a set of pervasive and powerful narratives that are insufficiently challenged in popular and academic encounters with the sport. This volume invites a multidisciplinary approach to respond to this dilemma. Analysing and fighting the narratives through which the sport of boxing is understood is crucial on account of the relationship between these stories and the formation of an individual’s narrative identity. In 1992, ethnographer, Loïc Wacquant, outlined the narrative misconceptions associated with boxing, wherein boxers are understood as:____

rugged, near-illiterate young/men/who, raised in broken homes and deprivation, manage single-handedly to elevate themselves from the gutter to fame and fortune, parlaying their anger at the world and sadomasochistic craving for violence into million-dollar purses, save for those who, ruthlessly exploited by callous managers and promoters alike, end up on the dole with broken bones and hearts. (Wacquant 1992, p. 222)____

Almost three decades later, Crews and Lennox (2020) argued that these misconceptions remain and it is through the lens of these narrative myths that boxing is understood in the public press and scholarly studies. The narrative myths supporting boxing matter because they shape the types of narrative identities available to those who engage with boxing. They determine the value and stigma associated with the sport and its participants, and importantly, determine who is represented in the stories told about boxing, in the identity of/the boxer/. These narrative myths not only control the types of narrative identities available to boxers but also perform structural mechanisms determining which types of bodies can identify as a boxer. The pool of narratives that support the sport, the narrative resources of boxing, are many, but limited and limiting. This volume interrogates the established narrative resources of boxing in a bid to present a more varied set of resources through which the sport is understood. As ethnographer John Sugden argues, the ‘role of “boxer” [is] absolutely central to a fighter’s sense of who/he/is and the ring the main stage for/his/character display’ (Sugden 1996, p. 53/emphasis added/). Therefore, increasing the pool of stories and perspectives on boxing is important, because it increases the visibility of what it means to/be/a boxer and for whom this identity is available, it also increases the resources through which variants of this identity can be performed.____

__ __

We ask contributors to this collection to critically examine the narrative misconceptions and tropes of boxing (as outlined by Wacquant above and in Crews and Lennox 2020), to expand the narrative resources of the sport by drawing upon diverse disciplinary perspectives on the sport. We invite multidisciplinary approaches where boxing is considered in the broadest sense. This may include, but is not limited to:____

__ __

  * The sport of boxing (amateur or professional)____
  * Contemporary boxing____
  * Boxing Futures____