Archive for calls, November 2020

[Commlist] CFP: Years in Cultural Studies (Lateral)

Thu Nov 26 10:14:31 GMT 2020

What forgotten historical moments or contexts shaped the trajectory of
cultural studies? How have individual scholars and broader social
movements contributed to the cultural studies we know today? Lateral,
the journal of the Cultural Studies Association, seeks to answer these
questions and more through essays that interrogate cultural studies’
diverse, fragmented, and provocative history. This call is for an on-
going, special section of Lateral  called "Years in Cultural Studies."
Essays in this collection focus on specific years in the history of
Cultural Studies.

“Years in Cultural Studies” seeks to provide a pedagogical resource, a
place for documentation and excavation, and a forum for storytelling.
We see this work as heeding the call Ted Striphas to do “care
work”—that is, infrastructural, cultivating work—to support the field
of Cultural Studies. Striphas asks, “What would it mean to imagine
Cultural Studies as a ‘care discipline,’ or better yet as a field in
which criticism and care cohabitate?”In this spirit, “Years in Cultural
Studies” provides a collection of open, accessible, student-friendly
histories of the field that allow all of us to learn more about its
intellectual genealogies, struggles, and contexts.

Contributions to this collective endeavor might, for instance:
* Revisit the years within the half-century history of the field
formally called “cultural studies,” including the creation of
university programs around the world, the publication of important
texts, and summaries of conferences.

* Trace how historical and political contexts have shaped the ethos,
foci, and goals of cultural studies.

* Respond to existing essays through discussions of more publications,
social and political events, or geopolitical contextualization. The
goal of such responses would be supplemental, to build upon a
collective project.

* Interrogate the history of cultural studies’ position(s) apart from,
between, and within, other disciplines and/or that ask how
institutionalization has shaped the character and goals of cultural
studies.

* Discuss years before the formal foundation of Cultural Studies in the
1960s. We anticipate discussions of the historical and intellectual
contexts that influenced the works of key figures like Antonio Gramsci.
But we also reiterate Carol Stabile’s call for excavation of work
outside the currently-accepted Cultural Studies canon and ask for work
that grapples with marginalized and subaltern cultural studies.

Thus, our call for more Years essays is a call for more care work in
our field, to add to a collective project, to set aside virilophilism
in favor of the hidden and marginalized, all with a goal to tell the
cultural studies story once more and make its history even more legible
to the next generation of cultural studies scholars.
Contact Info:
Potential authors should submit 500-750 word abstracts to the Years in
Cultural Studies editor, Robert W. Gehl with the subject line “Years in
Cultural Studies”.
Contact Email: (rob /at/ robertwgehl.org)