Archive for calls, October 2018

[ecrea] CfP: The Rise of Digital Campaigning: Challenges, Implications and Response

Wed Oct 24 12:04:55 GMT 2018

/Workshop: Call for Interest in attending a workshop on online political campaigning//
/
/We are issuing a call of interest for scholars currently working on the topic of /*/online political campaigning/*/. As part of a British Academy grant, and in association with the Electoral Commission, we are looking to gather together a small number of scholars for a workshop on /*/January 24/**/^th /**/-25/**/^th /**/ 2019 in Sheffield. /*/This workshop is intended to allow scholars from across Europe and beyond/*//*/to share research findings and discuss the challenge of studying online campaigns./ /Over recent months a number of initiatives have been launched by social media companies to improve transparency around online political campaigning, but at the moment we have limited understanding of what, exactly, is going on. Whether it comes to political advertising on Facebook, content sharing on social media platforms, or other digital campaigning actions, we have limited understanding of what political parties and other campaigning organisations are doing./ /This workshop will bring together scholars interested in studying online political campaigning to consider how data can be gathered, what quantitative and qualitative methods or approaches are needed to understand digital campaigning practices, and what the implications of digital campaigning for democratic norms and regulation are./
/We are looking to attract interest from individuals who:/

  * /Have previously conducted research on online political campaigning
    (or are in the process of doing so)/
  * /Who are willing to share the methodological underpinnings of their
    work, and/
  * /Who are willing to engage in discussion about how existing methods
    can be improved./

/Scholars with quantitative and qualitative experiences of studying online political campaigning are encouraged to apply./ /The organising team have a small budget to pay for the travel and accommodation of participants – including international participants. As places are limited, we are asking potential participants to email //(k.dommett /at/ sheffield.ac.uk)/ <mailto:(k.dommett /at/ sheffield.ac.uk)>/ and //(s.d.power /at/ exeter.ac.uk)/ <mailto:(s.d.power /at/ exeter.ac.uk)>/ with a short overview of your recent research in this area. Applications from early career scholars are particularly encouraged. The workshop will be composed of presentations and contributions for participants, but we will not be asking for full papers as the aim is to share experiences and reflections of //_how _//research can be conducted, as well as what the findings of specific research projects are./