Archive for calls, March 2018

[ecrea] Quite Frankly Symposium and Unhallowed Art Festival

Tue Mar 20 14:17:51 GMT 2018

This is a reminder that abstracts for the Quite Frankly conference, commemorating the bicentenary of the publication of /Frankenstein, /are due at the end of this month.

Please note that an arts festival, Unhallowed Arts, featuring an exciting range of events and performances, will be held alongside the conference. This is not to be missed!

For further information on these activities, and to submit abstracts, see below.

      Quite Frankly: It's a Monster Conference
      University Club of Western Australia
      18-19 October 2018

CALL FOR PAPERS <http://www.conferenceonline.com/abstract/alogin/?clear=1&warehouse_id=1423>

2018 marks 200 years since the publication of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein: or, The Modern Prometheus. Shelley’s “Creature” is usually conceived as a human creation, the stitched-together, tragic victim of scientific and technological experimentation. We rupture these stitches, revealing that the Creature is more than the sum of its parts. SymbioticA and Somatechnics join forces to present Quite Frankly: It’s a Monster Conference.

We invite you to explore the dynamic ecosystems evolving within and from the gaps between the Creature’s fragments. Life has become a raw material for re-assembling organisms, tools and consumer products. We are firmly entrenched in a “[bio]informatics of efficiency,” where both biology and technology are subjected to control, optimisation, computation and surveillance at ever decreasing and increasing scales. In light of current ecological and bio-political devastation, we induce extinction. Keep calm and contaminate. There is hope, there is resistance; the Creature offers the potential to escape control and fight back.

Quite Frankly invites explorations that (re)form kinships and provide niches of refuge and asylum for explorations at the limits of precarity. We encourage liberations of Frankenstein’s Creature from its anthropocentric singularity to an intra-active entanglement; from the living-dead to the compost-able. We revel in re-craftings of biotechnical industrialisations and commodifications and managerial aesthetics. As Karen Barad reminds us, “the political potential does not stop with regeneration, for there are other wild dimensions within and without that rage with possibilities.” Join us to unpick the Creature’s stitches and liberate its companion species.

*
*

*Keynote speakers:*

*Karen Barad *

*Ambelin Kwaymullina*

*Kira O’Reilly*

*Fiona Wood*

Unhallowed Arts is a collection of art events—a monstrosity—occurring in Perth, Western Australia throughout September and October 2018. Unhallowed Arts is timed to celebrate the bicentenary of Mary (Godwin) Shelley’s /Frankenstein /and feature exhibitions that explore the book’s influence on contemporary life and culture.

This event is presented by SymbioticA, The Centre for Excellence in Biological Arts, at the University of Western Australia. https://unhallowedarts.org/

For more information, see:

http://www.symbiotica.uwa.edu.au/activities/events/unhallowed-arts