[ecrea] Call for Papers - Symposium Cinema and Philosophy:Movements, Concepts: Critical May 68

Sat Dec 09 09:08:25 GMT 2017

*
Call for Papers
*

*Symposium
Cinema and Philosophy - Critical May 68
​
*

On the occasion of the 50 years of the ‘events of May 68’ we aim, with the International Symposium Cinema and Philosophy: Movements, Concepts, to look at this particularly eventful historical period, and at the manifold philosophical, artistic and cinematographic encounters, researches and outputs of the period that are of substantial import for critical thinking today.

Decolonial wars, workers movements and the involvement of intellectuals; film collectives and militant films; auteurist and pedagogical films – the geopolitical cadre gave place to an expansive mobilization and to cultural, artistic and social forms of organization and work. This historical moment is fertile in discussions and research onto the relations between cinema, thinking and otherness, to ‘contest dominant culture’s continuities’ as Fredric Jameson noted. We are particularly interested in looking into the philosophical and critical thought that emerged at this moment, how it carried to filmmaking and its continued importance both methodologically and critically, today.

We welcome papers on the following topics (but not limited to):
• Critical theory and critical cinema
• Image and performativity
• Work, occupation and film
• Collective filmmaking groups and auteurist cinema
• Pedagogy, authority and censorship
• Realism and mediation
• Appropriation and archive of upheavals in contemporary art
• Philosophy and militant film

Abstracts should be between 250 and 300 words with a short biographical note (100 words) and sent to (movementsconcepts /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(movementsconcepts /at/ gmail.com)> by 15 January 2018.

The working languages of the symposium will be Portuguese and English.

Notifications of acceptance will be given by 5 February 2018.

The Symposium will be held in Lisbon 30 – 31 May 2018.

CineLab | IFILNOVA – FCSH- New University of Lisbon