[ecrea] Digital Democracy: Critical Perspectives in the Age of Big Data conference programme

Wed Oct 11 22:18:19 GMT 2017

Digital Democracy: Critical Perspectives in the Age of Big Data
10-11 November 2017, Södertörn University

Co-organised by the ECREA Sections Communication and Democracy & Media Industries and Cultural Production

The detailed programme for the conference in November is now available at http://www.sh.se/bigdata.
Keynote speakers:
Helen Kennedy (University of Sheffield)
Joseph Turow (University of Pennsylvania)
Mikkel Flyverbom (Copenhagen Business School)

Conference theme: The coordinates of democracy, civic engagement and political participation are being fundamentally reconfigured in the context of digital media, Big Data and algorithmic culture, and so too are the media industries. This joint conference of the ECREA Communication and Democracy and Media Industries and Cultural Production Sections provides the opportunity to analyse and assess these changes.

The constant need to measure and capture our behavior and attitudes has consequences for our political agency and subjectivities. What do big data and algorithmic culture mean in the context of democratic participation and engagement? What are the consequences of ubiquitous surveillance, preemptive policing and social bots for our understanding of democracy and exercise of civic rights? How do current discussions of political agency in the digital age compare to previous moments of disruption in terms of the introduction of media technologies?

Big data and issues related to algorithmic governance have become a major topic of enquiry in the context of media industries as well. ‘Legacy media’ are trying to respond by integrating new digital services with their existing ones and new data-driven journalistic and media production practices emerge. This presents policy challenges, as, for example, public service media need to adapt to a situation in which data is increasingly commercialized. There are implications too for media workers in this new moment. In this context, we wish to explore issues related to the integration of Big Data and the media industries as well as online production, creativity and digital labour.