[ecrea] 2nd Annual Narratives of Health and Wellbeing Research Conference

Wed Oct 04 17:58:54 GMT 2017

You are invited to register for "Rise: A Conference Exploring Resilience, Writing and Wellbeing".

The Health, Creative Arts, Humanities and Human Service disciplines have much in common. This one-day multi-disciplinary conference showcases work that reveals the benefits to society of scholarship in all of these areas. We explore the concepts of resilience, writing and wellbeing.

Wenckus once observed that storytelling, in whatever mode - be it oral, written, filmed, or dramatized - can "relate cultural history, teach ethics and morals, relax, entertain, and stimulate imagination and creativity" (1994, p. 30). In health-care, there can be stress and dissatisfaction, leading to detached clinicians and impersonal actions. Research linking the creative arts and health may hold the key for humanising this vital workforce.

In this, our second narratives of health and wellbeing conference, we showcase scholarly work reviewing, exploring, studying, deconstructing and reconstructing the concept of resilience - the positive adjustment to adversity. We explore the role narrative plays in conveying stories of resilience and how the act of writing and developing narrative may also build resilience. We may begin to question whether resilience is a personal, innate, or learned attribute; a social or cultural asset; or a buzzword that offloads social and workplace responsibilities onto individuals.

Delegates likely to benefit include researchers, scholars, advanced undergraduate, post-graduate and RHD students working in any area of narrative research, writing narrative production, nursing, midwifery, mental health, the creative and performing arts, education and the humanities.

This conference is an exciting opportunity for delegates to interact across a diverse range of interests. The conference program features half day workshops that will provide delegates with hands-on learning and experience, an evening welcome function with a special private viewing of the CQU Noosa Arts Space Exhibition and featured floor talk, a full day conference event showcasing multiple speaker presentations and keynote addresses by Dr Kate Ames co-author of Will To Live, and Professor Margaret McAllister, Professor of Nursing at CQUniversity Australia.

Date		Thursday 26th and Friday 27th October 2017
Location	CQUniversity Noosa Campus, Queensland, Australia

Full conference program and registration details can be found on the conference website www.narrativesconference.org