[ecrea] CFP: Journal of African Cinemas Special Issue (30 Sept)

Fri Sep 29 12:35:55 GMT 2017

Call for papers: The Cinematic City: Desire, Form and the African Urban (Special Issue​)​

Submission of abstracts: 30 September 2017
Submission of articles: 28 February 2018

This special issue of the Journal of African Cinemas seeks articles that address questions at the intersections of cinematic form and the African urban. We aim to examine the contribution of cinema and audiovisual media to our understanding and experience of contemporary cities from an African perspective. We also want to problematize the circulation of terms such as “Afropolitanism,” “Afro-polis” “Afro-modernity” and “Afro-urbanity”, which often define the kinds of sentiment invested in or associated with the city in Africa. We are seeking articles that question whether these terms sufficiently evoke issues of specificity and materiality.

We also seek submissions that read the African city – and its diasporas – as form. The editors frame city and screenscapes as co-constitutive, foregrounding the diegetic and extra-diegetic elements that inform the “African urban” as a cinematic form. We are interested in articles situated within an interdisciplinary matrix that contribute to intellectual engagement with African cinemas through, among others, affect theory and the city as a matrix of feeling; critical black geography and the racialized construction of city spaces; the urban as a temporal consciousness; and representations of social inequalities and urban geographies of exclusion.

This special issue aims to that unpack the broad affective, aesthetic and material dimensions of African visuality, spatiality and temporality in African and diasporic audiovisual media. We also welcome articles that engage with film manufacture, circulation and consumption. Papers may cover (but are not limited to) the following:

·      Genre and African film as visual and verbal narrative
·      Aesthetics and African cinema as an urban form
·      Space, place and the infrastructures of the African city
·      Black subjectivity and geographic boundedness of the African urban
·      Comparative analyses with other (visual) forms of representation
·      African cinema, social inequality and urban geographies of exclusion

All submissions should adhere to JAC guidelines: https://goo.gl/Mn1GhS

Submissions should not be more to 8,000 words and should include a 200 word abstract and five keywords. The 8,000 words includes references, graphics and photos equivalent to 250 words each. The document(s) should be sent as Microsoft Word and/ or JPEG attachment(s) respectively. Prospective contributors should send an abstract (300 words) and short bio to Danai Mupotsa: (danai.mupotsa /at/ wits.ac.za) and Polo Moji: (polo.moji /at/ wits.ac.za) by 30 September 2017.