[ecrea] British Medical Television conference

Tue Jul 18 16:54:23 GMT 2017

A reminder that this conference is *next week* so do book your place now*:*

***
*

*BRITISH MEDICAL TELEVISION*

*27-28 July 2017, University of Brighton*

*Keynotes*: Patricia Holland, Hannah Hamad

*Practitioner panel*: Helen Littleboy (/Hospital/), Spencer Kelly (/24 Hours in A&E/), Joanna MacDonnell (/Casualty/)

*BOOK NOW*(paste URL into your browser):

http://shop.brighton.ac.uk/conferences-and-events/arts-humanities/academic-conferences/medical-television-conference

*Local accommodation */(select Phoenix Brewery Halls):/

https://holiday.brighton.ac.uk/ <https://staffmail.brighton.ac.uk/owa/redir.aspx?REF=P7d20c_l_0je-OaLOCVQtpOcPHT4dU7gx6y3aItTPP6YvcnEcbzUCAFodHRwczovL2hvbGlkYXkuYnJpZ2h0b24uYWMudWsv>

/Or:/

https://www.visitbrighton.com/

*
*

*Details and Schedule*

Despite its longevity, its broad appeal, and its resonance within the political and cultural national landscape, British medical television has not been the subject of much academic interest. This conference offers a groundbreaking opportunity for scholars across academic disciplines to engage with a strand of British television that has too long been ignored within the academy. We seek to consider questions such as:

  * What ideological and political purposes are served by TV programmes
    dealing with medical issues, and how do they shape public
    understandings of healthcare?
  * Do programmes like /Holby City/ and /Casualty/ serve as a vehicle
    for the BBC to tell its own story about the impact of government
    intervention and the ideological dismantling of the BBC?
  * What impact will the tendering out of drama programmes to
    independent production have on the potential ideological
    relationship between the BBC and national politics?
  * How are the political schemas of programmes like /Holby City/ and
    /Casualty/ reflected in other forms of medical television broadcast
    on UK commercial television?
  * How do genres such as reality TV and documentary engage with medical
    issues?

The conference aims to map out the rich history of medical programming on British television and to engage with the complex relationships between the NHS, British broadcasting, and the state.

*SCHEDULE*

**

*Thursday 27 July*

**

*Keynote*

Patricia Holland: The Politics of Medical Television Across the 1980s.

*Historical Developments in Non-Fiction Medical TV *

Pascale Mansier: Similarities between French and British TV Medical Magazines in the Late Fifties.

Paul Bader: Power to the People: How Medical TV started talking to people rather than Doctors in the 1980s.

*Nostalgia and Medical Television *

Anne Jespersen:/The Royal /– Bridging the Gap Between Nostalgic Ignorance and Harsh, Realistic Knowledge.

Martin Fradley: ‘I can tell I’m not well… I think I’m a little bit poorly’: Working-Class Drama and the NHS in Shane Meadows’ /This is England ’86, 88, 90/.

Louise FitzGerald: Fluffy Cardigans and Starched Uniforms/: Call The Midwife/, Nostalgia and the NHS.

*The Mutability of Medical Television *

Fran Pheasant-Kelly: States of Abjection: The Politics and Practices of Jed Mercurio’s /Bodies/ and /Cardiac Arrest./

Teresa Forde: Nursing Back to Health?From /Angels/ to /No Angels./

Elizabeth Ford: The Representation of Doctors in Children’s Fictional Television Programmes.

*Friday 28 July *

**

*Keynote*

Hannah Hamad: Mediating the NHS at 70: Exploring the Political Stakes of Contemporary Medical Television.

*Medical Television: Ethics and Policies *

Marta Lopera, Mònika Jiménez-Morales, Manel Jiménez-Morales: Binge Eating, Binge Watching: Narrative and Aesthetic Representation of Mental Health and Body Dysmorphic Disorders on My Mad Fat Diary.

Agata Korecka: The Man with 10 Stone Testicles: Corporeal Spectacle and ‘Humilitainment’

Rony Armon and Colleen Cotter: Televising Obesity: The Role of Personal Stories in the Depiction of Policy Objectives.

*Popular Drama and Medical Discourse*

Ruth Deller: 30 Years in Holby: Analysing /Casualty/’s Anniversary

Katie Marshall, Naji Tabet, John Anderson: The Portrayal of Dementia in Television Soaps

Georgina Turner: ‘And that’s how you turn the lesbian death trope on its ear!’: /Holby City/ and the ‘Berena’ phenomenon.

*Production and Practitioners Session*

Helen Littleboy (/Hospital/), Spencer Kelly (/24 Hours in A&E/), Joanna MacDonnell (/Casualty/) discuss the ethics, politics, and practicalities of making medical television.

**

*CLOSE*

**