[ecrea] doctoral students and early career scholars Digital Society Research Methods Workshop

Mon Jun 12 19:52:04 GMT 2017

topic: doctoral students and early career scholars Digital Society Research Methods Workshop 10-11 Sept

The New Research on Digital Societies (NeRDS) Research Group at Kozminski University invites applications from PhD students and early career scholars to a Digital Society Research Methods Workshop: “Interpreting Social Activites Online”, held at Kozminski University in *Warsaw on 10-11 September 2017.*

The 5 mini-courses conducted during the workshop oscillate around the broad theme of social scientific interpretation of social actors’ activities online. What methods and theories can be applied to reach beyond the surface of the Internet content and digital traces, and enhance our understanding of social behavior in the digitized society?

Workshops:

Dr. Piotr Sapieżyński, Northeastern University
/Online friends and their offline behaviors/

In this workshop I’ll share the lessons we’ve learnt during the a large scale study of online and offline social interactions among a group of 1000 students, the Copenhagen Networks Study. I’ll describe the opportunities and pitfalls of using online data as a proxy for underlying, offline social networks and compare the insights gained from questionnaires to those derived from behavioral (online and offline) data. I’ll also showcase a few tools for network visualization and analysis.

Amanda Menking, University of Washington
/Telling Stories about the Internet/

While we generally associate stories with fabrications and fictions, we are hard-wired to and continuously shaped by the stories we tell about ourselves, others, and our work. In this talk, I will discuss how we can use narratives in our work in ways that are—at once—rigorous and delightful, and that help us to be better Internet researchers. I will provide examples from my dissertation, drawing on methods such as interviews, interpersonal process recall, and object biographies. These methods rely upon narrative and are extremely well-suited for studying digital cultures, enabling us to approach both participants and the content they produce as units of analyses.

Prof. Dariusz Jemielniak, Kozminski University
/Doing digital ethnography: tales from the e-field
/

A current Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees member, as well as digital ethnography veteran, and an author of “Common Knowledge?” (2014 Stanford University Press, winner of 2015 Dorothy Lee Award and 2016 Chair of the Polish Academy of Sciences academic excellence award) will run a practical workshop on the nuances of identity work, ethical concerns when doing online ethnography, as well as the issues of differences and similarities with traditional fieldwork.

Dr. Helena Chmielewska-Szlajfer, Kozminski University
/Information, gossip, memes, and post-truths: constructing narratives and creating knowledge in online news/

As part of the workshop, we will analyze how news, particularly those focused on politics and scandals, are shaped, distributed, and reinterpreted online. We will focus on how traditional internet portals and social media reinforce each other in creating this type of knowledge and narratives; how their distribution if formed in time and online spaces; and how this information can be studied from the point of view of useful analytical tools and theoretical approaches.

Dr. Paweł Krzyworzeka, Kozminski University
/How to combine your online and offline research
/

In this workshop, we are going to answer fundamental questions about mixing online and offline research in social sciences. When is online only research not enough? What is the value of meeting online community members in person? Strategies for combining both types of research?

*How to apply?*
?
We invite PhD students and Early Career Scholars who conduct or consider conducting social Internet research.

To apply, please fill in the following form before June 30, 2017.
https://goo.gl/forms/v6x7a7tXJj2xF7SM2

  The notification of acceptance will be sent before July 15, 2017.

The basic workshop fee is 85€.

We plan to organize dinner and a short trip around Warsaw as a facultative option. We may also have some limited funding/waivers for special needs applicants.

More details: http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/digital-society-research-methods-workshop/