[ecrea] Call for working groups: Race, Power and Mobilities - 14th ETMU Days

Mon May 08 20:49:36 GMT 2017

Race, Power and Mobilities
14th ETMU Days

October 26–27, 2017
University of Jyväskylä, Finland

The 14th ETMU Days of 2017 will take place in Jyväskylä. This year’s theme “Race, Power, and Mobilities” hopes to break taboos around the word “race” with the intention of reclaiming it and drawing attention to processes of racialization, power, and movement as well as their intersections. On the one hand, in the Nordic countries previous studies on (im)migration and ethnicity, have mainly neglected or ignored questions of power. On the other hand, whiteness and critical race scholars have commonly analyzed power and racialization processes without foregrounding issues of mobilities. Therefore, we believe that in the study of migration and mobility there is an urgent need of scholarship that unites critical analyses of power and hierarchical structures with a focus on racialization.

The conference theme will be explored and illuminated by our invited keynote speakers:

·        Kaarina Nikunen, University of Tampere, Finland
·        Tobias Hübinette, Karlstad Universitet, Sweden
·        Nando Sigona, University of Birmingham, UK

In addition, as another highlight of the 2017 ETMU Days, an invited panel organized in collaboration with the anti-racist RASTER research network will discuss practices and consequences of racialization.

We specifically invite working groups who examine social hierarchies and categories such as ethnicity, gender, sexuality, religion, language, geographical location, or physical dis/ability within the context of race, power, and mobilities.

We further welcome examinations of how descriptions of migration and ethnic relations are produced performatively. This includes, for instance, practices of racialization in media, education, work life, individual experiences, discourses or societal structures that are analyzed through the lenses of difference and power.

We look forward to a multidisciplinary event with much-needed discussions, for example on the status of refugees seeking asylum and undocumented migrants, legislations and policies, artistic mobility and cultural representations, racialized hate speech, and global impacts of migration.

The main languages of the ETMU Days are English, Finnish, Swedish and Finnish Sign Language. All keynotes will be presented in English. We encourage participants to use multilingual and visual resources in their presentations in order to enable multilingual and multidisciplinary discussions.

ETMU Days also organises a pre-conference seminar for doctoral students on October 25, 2017. More information about the pre-conference on our website before summer.

Submission Guidelines for Working Groups

We are inviting prospective working group convenors to submit a 300–400 words abstract for a working group theme to (etmu2017 /at/ gmail.com). Prospective working group leaders are free to suggest relevant questions and topics to be discussed, not limited to the examples mentioned above. The convenors will be contacted by the June 16, 2017 and call for papers will be published on July 1, 2017.

Important dates and practicalities
 ·        Deadline for working group submissions 31 May, 2017
· Length of working group abstracts: 300–400 words (including references)
·        The notification of acceptance of working groups June 16, 2017
·        Working group abstracts should be sent to (etmu2017 /at/ gmail.com)
·        Call for papers starts July 1, 2017
·        Call for papers ends August 31, 2017
·        The notification of acceptance of papers, September 15, 2017
· Abstracts for working groups should be sent directly to convener(s) of the working groups
·        Registration starts September 15, 2017

·        Pre-conference for Ph.D. students October 25, 2017
·        ETMU Days October 26–27, 2017

For any enquiries regarding ETMU Days, please contact: (etmu2017 /at/ gmail.com)

For fees, registration, updated news, please check our website: http://etmudays.etmu.fi/

The 2017 website will be launched later in May

We are on Twitter: @ETMU2017, #ETMU2017