[ecrea] Call for papers - BBC Local Radio 50th Anniversary Symposium, University of Westminster

Sun Apr 23 20:11:18 GMT 2017

APPROACHING DEADLINE: Call for papers - BBC Local Radio 50th Anniversary Symposium, University of Westminster

According to David Lloyd in his blog 'Radio Moments':"The requirement for local passion is gone. Your BBC local radio station is no longer necessarily expected to ‘champion’ your area; nor hold decision-makers to account; nor play a part in 'a shared sense of civic responsibility'".

Is this really the case?
How did we find ourselves in this situation?
What can be done, or is this a necessary development in the scheme of things?

To discuss these issues and more, and to mark the 50th Anniversary of BBC Local Radio, please consider taking part in this one-day Symposium at the University of Westminster, on Saturday 18th November, 2017.

We are inviting talks and presentation proposals which take a critical look at local radio broadcasting.

Our initial deadline is Friday 5th May.

We would welcome contributions which touch any of the following issues:
•    The significance of 1967 as a watershed year in radio history
• The contribution of key individuals and pioneers to local radio and broadcasting history • Parochialism and/or the public sphere in action - BBC Local Radio, community and civic engagement • Conceptions of ‘local’, ‘locality’ and ‘localism’ and how these can or cannot be realised, addressed and mediated by local radio • The intersection between local and regional broadcasting, across the sectors of the BBC, commercial radio and community radio • The contribution of BBC Local Radio to the representation and participation of minority groups and under-served audiences/communities • The development of new production and broadcast practices, skills and technology, pioneered in the field of local broadcasting
•    The importance of creating archives of local radio content
• Policies and potential - the extent to which BBC Local Radio achieves its aims
•    The impact of technological developments on local radio and its future

Submitting a proposal:
• We welcome proposals for 15-20 minute papers or presentations relating to any period or locality • We seek wide participation and welcome proposals from independent researchers, archivists, postgraduate students, academics, and broadcast professionals • We welcome papers submitted together, but reserve the right to organise panels as we think best.

Please use the following format for proposals:
•    Name, contact details
•    Title of paper or presentation
•    250-word paper summary (max 1 page A4)
•    50-word contributor biography
• Send proposals as a Word doc or PDF attachment by email to Dr Matthew Linfoot, at: (M.J.Linfoot /at/ westminster.ac.uk)
•    Deadline: Friday 5th May 5pm
• Tickets for the Symposium will be on sale to all participants later in the year