[ecrea] 'Communication Worlds' ANZCA 2017 CFP

Wed Mar 01 15:23:39 GMT 2017

*ANZCA (Australia & New Zealand Communication) Conference 2017 – **Call for Papers* <http://anzca2017.com/call-for-papers/>

*/Communication Worlds: Access, Voice, Diversity, Engagement/*

*University of Sydney, Wednesday 5 – Friday 7 July, 2017 (PhD/ECR Day – Tuesday 4 July)*

**

*Revised Deadline for abstracts: Friday 10 March 2017*

What are the worlds of communication we inhabit, create, and reshape? And how can we interpret the dynamic expansions and contractions of our mediascapes?

ANZCA 2017 invites reflections on ancient, modern and future communication worlds, colonial and postcolonial worlds, activist and start-up worlds, ecologies, ecosystems and environments.

We are interested in analyses of novel and emergent systems, such as the world of sensors, bots, algorithms and computer automation; historical studies of media evolution, transformation and obsolescence; or comparative studies of transnational phenomena and the scope of global social interaction.

We will also explore what is worldly (and unworldly) about communication in Aotearoa/New Zealand, Australia, and their regions—pondering how the spaces, places, locations, and times of communication zones in Asia and the Pacific relate to counterparts in other parts of the globe.

Different types of ‘worlding’ enable and/or inhibit our access to, voice, participation and engagement in media and communication spheres.

With this in mind we seek papers that also consider the following concepts:

/Access:/What lies in and outside these symbolic worlds? Who has access to them and who is excluded? What are the boundaries, frontiers, borders, bridges, gulfs, and federations of different communication worlds? What knowledge, skills, resources and strategies enable us to enter these worlds? What forms of presence do these environments support, and absences do they suggest?

/Voice:/Who decides, on what terms, with what consequences, who has voice, and gets listened to, in our communication worlds? What are the design, infrastructure, technology, communication channel, repertoire, style, recommendation and preferencing decisions that shape these worlds to suit some and not others?

/Diversity:/How can we reimagine communication worlds for cultural and media diversity? What are the potential options for reformatting, rethinking, and reconfiguring policy, practice, platforms, possibilities, participation, and the politics of plenty (and scarcity), if we think communication, in all its guises and potential matters?

/Engagement:/How do we invite and recruit people to interact in our worlds? How might we gauge the depth, breadth or scope of their interests and responses, participation and contribution? And how might we understand the emerging social and power relations among distinct groups of workers—those making hardware, software, and infrastructure; professional content makers, immaterial and precarious labourers—and audiences, users, communities, publics, and others?

We welcome a wide range of submissions for papers and panels on this topic of /communication worlds/, spanning all areas of contemporary media and communications studies, policy, and practice.

ANZCA 2017 is hosted by the Department of Media and Communications <http://sydney.edu.au/arts/media_communications/>, University of Sydney.

For more information, visit the ANZCA 2017 Conference website <http://anzca2017.com/>. For any enquiries, contact: (anzca.meco /at/ sydney.edu.au) <mailto:(anzca.meco /at/ sydney.edu.au)>