Archive for calls, April 2016

[ecrea] Call for Applications - Workshop (Forced) Migration and Media, 13th of June, University of Leicester

Fri Apr 15 16:30:27 GMT 2016

*Call for Applications – Workshop (Forced) Migration and Media at the
University of Leicester*

*13^th  and 14^th  of June, 2016*

*
*This workshop consists of two days: the first day is targeted on
academic knowledge sharing whereas the second day is aimed at dialogue
with community organisations in and around Leicester. *

*For the first day of this workshop – *Monday, the 13^th  of June *–**we
are looking for applicants who conduct research on how media and forced
migration intersect. The deadline to submit your abstract is on the
*Sunday, the 15^th  of May, 23.59 GMT.
*Delegates are more than welcome to also attend the workshop of the
14^th  of June. *

_Outline Day 1 – Interdisciplinary Workshop aimed at academic knowledge
exchange_

*Digital technologies have “woven themselves into the everyday lives of
refugees” (Wilding and Gifford , 2013), opening up new spaces for agency
and creativity. For example, 96% of the refugees in Uganda use mobile
phones, which is a much higher percentage than the general population
(Betts, 2014). We aim to bring together established and upcoming
scholars from different areas together in order to further understand
and increase our knowledge on the mediation of (forced) migration.
*
*The academic interest for (forced) migrants and media is very topical
given the influence of the ‘refugee crisis in Europe’- for instance in
dehumanizing language regarding refugees and other migrants in the
British media or the confusion about the realization that refugees own
smartphones.

But while ethnographic research has indeed shown that diasporic
communities are often vanguards of digital technologies and it is clear
that forced migration and mediated connectivity are increasingly
intertwined, critical research in this area is still lacking. The few
notable exceptions show that media (mass media and social media) can
influence one’s feelings of security, but can also provide opportunities
to strategise and negotiate one’s position of insecurity (Aouragh, 2011;
Collyer, 2007; Dekker and Engersen, 2012; Horst, 2006; Moore and
Clifford, 2007; Wilding and Gifford, 2013).

We are looking for applicants who conduct research to further the
understanding on how media and forced migration intersect. New and old
media play a crucial role in the lives of (forced) migrants. Within this
workshop we aim to explore how we can understand the intersections
between different media forms, including people’s own media use, and
(forced) migration. We bracket the forced, as we recognise that the
label ‘refugee’ can have its own difficulties, and could even be
considered as a governing tool appropriated by nation-states. This
workshop could therefore also be opened up to people who consider mixed
migration or challenge the distinction between economic and forced
migrations in regard to media.

The workshop (see a detailed program in the attachment)
includes interactive activities in which established scholars, new
career researchers and post-graduate students from a wide variety of
fields are able to learn from each other and write together. *

*After a general opening and key note speeches, the keynote speaker will
be working within a small group of early career researchers (max. 5/6
people) on a specific subject which is related to the one of the 4 streams.
The 4 streams are:
1. Media representations of (forced) migration.
2. Methodology, media and migration.
3. Trajectories of (forced) migrants.
4. Media power in the politics of (forced) migration.
For a more detailed description of these streams, please have a look at
the attachment or on our Facebook event-page: Workshop (Forced)
Migration and Media.

The objective of the afternoon session is creating a more informal space
where researchers working on similar subjects can present their work
with people working on similar issues and to someone who has a tracked
record in the field.

In the closing plenary session we will look for bridges, and consider
how we as academics can best engage to policies and practices.

We ask you to submit the title of your work, an abstract of maximum 300
words and a short motivation of maximum 200 words why your works fits
best in what particular stream by *Sunday, the 15^th  of May, 23.59 GMT
*to (mediamigrationworkshop /at/ gmail.com)
<mailto:(mediamigrationworkshop /at/ gmail.com)>.

Accepted participants will be notified by the 20^th  of May.

_Costs:_ Attendees are asked to contribute £10 each, in order to
contribute to the travel costs of attendees without funding. Those
attendees who have to travel far within the UK and do not have funding
to cover travel costs can contact us for additional funding.

For more information or any questions, please contact
(mediamigrationworkshop /at/ gmail.com)
<mailto:(mediamigrationworkshop /at/ gmail.com)>, Mirjam Twigt, (mat35 /at/ le.ac.uk)
<mailto:(mat35 /at/ le.ac.uk)> or Zakaria Sajir: (zs70 /at/ le.ac.uk)
<mailto:(zs70 /at/ le.ac.uk)>__or contact us through the Facebook event-page:
Workshop (Forced) Migration and Media.

For more information on the Community Impact Event on the 14^th  of
June, please contact Idil Osman (io40 /at/ le.ac.uk) <mailto:(io40 /at/ le.ac.uk)> or
Mirjam Twigt: (mat35 /at/ le.ac.uk) <mailto:(mat35 /at/ le.ac.uk)>.

All the best wishes,

Mirjam A. Twigt
PhD-student, Graduate Research Assistant

Department of Sociology / Media and Communication
University of Leicester

Email: (mat35 /at/ le.ac.uk)