Archive for calls, October 2014

[ecrea] CFP "The Border Within – Human body in Contemporary Media (2)"

Tue Oct 28 22:27:00 GMT 2014

XIII MAGIS – Gorizia International Film Studies Spring School
POSTCINEMA SECTION
Gorizia (Italy), March 20-24, 2015

CALL FOR PAPER:
The Border Within – Human body in Contemporary Media (2)

“Postcinema, videogames and animation” section aims at investigating body's contemporary condition in the realm of new media such as videogames or internet. It also aims at analysing the body in the realm of those old visual media like cinema and television which are influenced by the postmedial condition, with specific attention to innovations generated by technological shifts. Our main interest lies in the increasing attention on the human body as theoretical focus and constant reference to authors or frameworks in the past and contemporary theories. Our main focus is the constant transformation process the concept of human body is going through within the realm of contemporary media products. We would like to explore the borders of human body as it lies on the verge of opposite conceptual poles – life and death, real and false, technology and flesh, organic and not organic, human and cyborg, human and animal. Our interest lies: 1) in the investigation of medial body as connected to those visual artists interested in the body's concept 2) in the central role of the body for video gaming culture 3) in the process of embodiment implied by motion controllers and sensors such as Move, Kinect or Wiimote as well as in the diverse body representations and transformation within different games 4) the different ways in which body and its transformations are represented and captured in television-series (e.g.: the change faced by the actors in the different seasons, chapters, sequels of a movie) 5) the transformation of the character’s bodies due to medical treatment, techno-scientific process or forms of contagion. We are also interested in the link to genres to the “postcinematic or postmedial” condition such as the trans-media and interactive documentaries, mockumentaries, web-documentaries, web-series or web fictions, sci-fi, new-horror and fantasy, as well as all political uses of the (media) body and the representations of the body conveyed by social media and media internet happenings.

Deadline for paper proposals: November 30, 2014

Proposals should not exceed one page in length

A short CV (10 lines max.) should be sent together with the paper proposal.
Submit proposals to: (gospringschool /at/ gmail.com)

http://www.filmforumfestival.it/