Archive for calls, September 2013

[ecrea] CALL FOR ARTICLES FOR EDITED BOOK - disability studies in communication and communication pedagogy

Sat Sep 07 22:31:16 GMT 2013

CALL FOR ARTICLES FOR EDITED BOOK

We have two major reasons for conceptualizing this edited volume. First, the lack of progressive research on disability issues in physical and learning disabilities in the context of communication studies. Even though the academic discourse around the issues of physical and learning disabilities is enlarging and new studies have been conducted in educational or health settings, most of these current studies are conducted by researchers other than communication studies scholars. Most of these studies appear in journals and books in Education (such as Journal of Special Education), Disability Studies, Communication Sciences and Disorders, and Public Health. At the same time, the existing limited research in communication studies focus on specific topics and appear in journals such as an article in Journal of Health Communication (April/May 2010) focusing on the role of interpersonal communication between medical students and their patients with disabilities or series of articles in communication apprehension in Communication Education. Most of previous research in communication neglect to include any research in physical and learning disabilities in the classroom or the state of departmental curricular to accommodate students with different needs. After seeing this gap, we decided to focus on the issues of physical and learning disabilities in the classroom.

The second reason revolves around the notion of diversifying classroom culture and curriculum to accommodate students with disabilities and diverse needs. Considering that our classroom cultures are increasingly diversified and we start to have students from different economic, racial, ethnic, sexual, and ability/disability backgrounds, we have to accommodate these shifts by changing our curriculum and also incorporating new teaching methods and new topics to connect with students from different backgrounds. Particularly when it comes to issues on physical and learning disabilities.

In this edited book, our goal is to put together essays on interconnected yet separate issues on physical and learning disabilities. As many of you already aware of accommodating students with physical disabilities often require changes not only in teaching environment but also the design of the course and assignments and implementing new teaching pedagogies. Therefore, in this collection we address several issues related to disability studies in the field of communication. The topics may include but not limited to

- ways in which we change our traditional ways of teaching to accommodate students who cannot fully use their bodies and senses.

-       issues with students who has diagnosed learning disabilities.

- students, with Attention Deficit Disorder, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and other learning disabilities.

-       newer educational approaches and teaching pedagogies

-       usage of new media technologies as teaching tools

- issues of class, race, gender and sexuality in disability studies and communication pedagogies.

- co-authored narratives and personal stories with students on disability issues in educational settings.

We welcome submissions of scholarly essays related to all aspects of disability studies in communication and communication pedagogy. We are especially interested in scholarship that is critical and narrative in nature. However, we welcome other methodological and theoretical approaches. All submitted essays should have a relevant theoretical framework and participate in contemporary conversations within the field of communication/ communication education and disability issues.

500 word proposals should be emailed to (aatay /at/ wooster.edu) and (maryz.ashlock /at/ louisville.edu) by November 1, 2013. Both established and new scholars are welcome. Chapters are projected at about 6,000-7.000 words and not due until May 15, 2014. We welcome any enquiries from potential authors.