Archive for calls, December 2011

[ecrea] cfp: GJSS Special Edition on Sexuality in Focus

Thu Dec 08 11:57:53 GMT 2011

Call for Papers – GJSS Special Edition on Sexuality in Focus

The Graduate Journal of Social Sciences (GJSS) invites papers for its
December 2012 special edition on Sexuality in Focus. This issue is
inspired by the Network of Interdisciplinary Women’s Studies in Europe
(NOISE) 2011 Summer School, which was hosted by the University of
Utrecht (the Netherlands). This year’s theme was ‘The Miraculous
(dis)appearing Act of Sexuality: Mapping the Study of Sexuality in
Europe, 1960-2010’. Central to this summer school was the exploration of
what has appeared in discourses of sexualities and what has been
missing. The special issue aims to further explore this complex and
multifaceted subject.

We invite scholarly contributions from postgraduate students, early
career academics and activists engaged in LGBT, sexuality, feminist,
queer, women’s and gender studies or related areas, to submit their work
for consideration. Although NOISE summer school participants are
strongly encouraged to submit their papers, we also welcome
contributions from people outside of the NOISE network. Thus, we welcome
contributions that offer important insights into debates surrounding
sexuality. These include, but are not limited to, the following themes:

- Sexualities in the making: discussions of the epistemological,
methodological, and thematic issues central to the interdisciplinary and
intersectional study of sexuality in Europe and beyond; (historical)
analyses of heterosexual, gay, lesbian, asexual, bisexual, queer and
transsexual discourses or movements.
- Deconstructing sexualities: papers exploring the notion of (sexual)
identity; the engagement with biological essentialism / determinism,
social constructivism and newer insights in this debate.
- Sexual politics: sexuality and (post)colonialism; sexuality and the
formation of the nation state; multiculturalism and homonationalism;
sexuality and family politics; state censorship. In this strand we also
invite papers which seek to bridge the gap between academic feminisms
and feminist activisms.
- Reflexivity and intersectionality: how can we adopt a more
intersectional approach to our work on sexuality? We invite papers
exploring the ontological and epistemological relationship between the
researcher and the subject of study in the field of sexuality. This
strand also explicitly invites papers which explore the intersections of
race, class, nationality, religion and other social categories, with
gender and sexuality.
- Stigma and marginalization: we invite papers focusing on sexual
practices or bodily aesthetics from an affirmative perspective. Papers
might address BDSM; pornography; physical disabilities and sexuality;
fatness and sexuality; or the sexual practices of other stigmatized groups.

A sixth strand is aimed at extending the debate on sexualities beyond
the European / Western context. A selection of papers presented at the
Arab Women, Media and Sexuality conference (University of York, May
2012) shall be included in a special section of this edition. Papers
exploring the following themes are welcomed: representations of Arab
women’s sexuality in Western and / or Arabic media; approaches to
sexuality in Arabic media; Arab women’s perception of their sexuality
vis-à-vis the media. The deadline for this section will be separate from
the general deadline and will be announced. For more information, please
contact Ebtihal Mahadeen: (im544 /at/ york.ac.uk).

Submissions: Completed papers should be submitted by January 30th 2012.
Papers should be 6000-8000 words. Please include an abstract (max 300
words), short author biography (max 150 words) along with three to five
keywords.

Papers submitted to the GJSS undergo an initial selection by the guest
editors and then go through a double-blind peer review process. The
special issue will be published in December 2012.

Submissions must be accompanied by the GJSS article submission form.
Detailed submission guidelines and formatting instructions can be found
on the GJSS website:
http://www.gjss.org/index.php?/gjss.org-submission-of-articles.html.

Please submit your article to (GJSSspecialed /at/ gmail.com). Any enquiries
regarding this special edition may also be directed to this email address.