Archive for calls, December 2011

[ecrea] Call for Papers: Documentary Now

Mon Dec 05 22:01:12 GMT 2011

In keeping with the ¡Revolution Now! theme of this year's Documentary Now! conference (London, 21-24 June 2012), I am looking to put together a panel (and panel proposal) on the topic of economic justice and the documentary.

To explain:

The issue of economic justice is at the forefront today and films and other media (comic books, videos, photographs) have been visualising these vast and abstract systems, as well as their human cost. Additionally, in the wake of the ongoing global financial crisis, protests are mounting worldwide, and communities are linked through visual and social media, using video and Internet platforms to build solidarity and share information. This awareness of the politics of finance and the human cost of the free market may be stronger than ever, but it is not new. It has been building, cultivated in documentary cinema in such films as /L//a Hora de los Hornos/The/ /Hour of the Furnaces/ (Octavio Gettino and Fernando Solanas, 1970), /Ilha Das Flores/Island of Flowers/ (Jorge Furtado, 1989),/ Life and Debt/ (Stephanie Black, 2001) /Darwin's Nightmare/ (Hubert Sauper, 2004),/ //Black Gold /(Nick and Marc Francis, 2006), Solanas's more recent films, /Memoria del saqueo./Social Genocide /(2004) /La Dignidad de los Nadies/The Dignity of Nobodies /(2005) and many more.

This list only touches the surface of a wealth of materials in need of exploration: How have their aesthetics and uses helped to foster the climate of revolution we see today? How have they (re)introduced economic rights into the popular imaginary? What other issues emerge as we explore the relationship between documentaries and economic justice?

I would love to hear from anyone interested in participating on such a panel, so if you are interested, please contact me at (lt40 /at/ st-andrews.ac.uk).

As the panel proposals are due in January, I would appreciate hearing from anyone potentially interested before 25 December.

Best wishes,

Leshu Torchin

Dr Leshu Torchin
Lecturer in Film Studies