[ecrea] cfp: proposed edited book about dark leisure

Mon Oct 11 18:21:36 GMT 2010

>If 'dark matter' is what is unaccounted for in the universe, and is
>seen to be potentially dangerous, then dark leisure is what people
>do that can be seen to be disturbing or troubling.
>
>We would like to invite contributions for a proposed edited
>collection looking at the ways that people spend their leisure time
>pursuing online activities that might be labelled unusual, dark, or
>deviant; for example, about dogging and swinging, pro-anorexia and
>cutting, suicide, death camps, and terrorism. This might include
>discussion boards, email lists, chat rooms, advice sought and given,
>photographs or videos shared, and events publicised.
>
>Chapters should be empirically based, around 6000 words in length,
>and written in an accessible style suitable for an interested,
>intelligent general audience as well as for an academic readership
>in gender/cultural/media studies and sociology/anthropology. An
>examination of your ethical and methodological issues is required as
>these are obviously sensitive issues. We are also interested in
>research which prioritises issues of gender and sexualities.
>
>Abstracts will form part of a book proposal to be submitted to an
>interested publisher.
>
>Send abstracts of up to 250 words by October 31st and including a
>brief bio to: Julie Harpin
><mailto:(j.harpin /at/ leedsmet.ac.uk)>(j.harpin /at/ leedsmet.ac.uk)
>
>Please forward this email to your networks and any colleagues who
>might be interested. Thanks.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Julie Harpin & Samantha Holland
>
>Leeds Metropolitan University, UK
>

>Dr Samantha Holland
>Carnegie Research Institute
>Cavendish Hall, Headingley campus
>Leeds LS6 3QS UK

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885