[ecrea] Perception, Reception and Deception: - Media History Conference- Dublin April 2011 - Second Call

Tue Sep 07 13:28:45 GMT 2010

>Perception, Reception and Deception:
>The role of the media in society
>Second Call
>
>Trinity College Dublin, 19-21 April 2011
>
>The 4th biennial Media History conference will focus on the ways in
>which people have understood the social, cultural and political
>roles of the media over the past five centuries. The concept of 'the
>media' will be interpreted broadly, so as to include newspapers,
>magazines and one-off publications which included news and
>information, as well as manuscript, aural, visual, and broadcast and
>other electronic sources.
>
>A great deal of work has been done by scholars on the institutional,
>political and cultural history of various forms of media.
>'Perception, Reception and Deception' will build on this literature
>to explore the ways in which print, manuscript, visual
>representations and the broadcast media have been understood,
>conceptualised, and imaginatively represented in the societies in
>which they were produced. It will, in other words, focus not on
>media production but on the reception, depiction and perception of
>the media by individuals and groups of individuals in a variety of
>different contexts over time.
>
>How have readers, consumers, and the industry itself framed
>arguments about the media as a force for good (or evil) at different
>points in time? Have contemporaries always seen the media as an
>agent of change, or is there a counter-history of the media to be
>written in terms of promoting conservatism, deference and order? How
>have people understood and represented the media in terms of
>concepts of personal and geographical space, time and changing
>belief systems?  Can we think 'internationally' about the
>similarities and differences between perceptions of the media in
>different states and nations over time, or is the media still best
>understood and examined in largely local or regional
>contexts?   How, in short, have men and women answered in different
>contexts the apparently simple questions, 'what is the media, and
>what is it for?'
>

>Abstracts, of no more than 200 words for papers of between 20 to 25
>minutes duration, should be sent by close of business on 30
>September 2010 to
><mailto:(Mediahistory2011 /at/ gmail.com)>(Mediahistory2011 /at/ gmail.com).
>
>We welcome proposals from a range of chronological, geographical and
>methodological backgrounds.
>
>'Perception, Reception and Deception' is jointly organised by the
><http://www.tcd.ie/longroomhub>Trinity Long Room Hub, Trinity
>College Dublin, the
><http://www.aber.ac.uk/history/research/centreformediahistory.html>Centre
>For Media History, Aberystwyth University, and the journal
><http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/carfax/13688804.html>Media History.
>Additional enquiries can be directed to one or more of the
>following: <mailto:(jmcellig /at/ tcd.ie)>Dr. Jason McElligott,
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885