[ecrea] CFP "Mediterranean Encounters in the City"

Fri Aug 20 22:00:34 GMT 2010

>CALL FOR PAPERS: MEDITERRANEAN ENCOUNTERS IN THE CITY
>
>The conference Mediterranean Encounters in the City will be held at
>the University of Colorado ­ Boulder on April 15-16, 2011.
>

>This conference aims to document and analyze how the contemporary
>Mediterranean city manages and negotiates its identity as a result of
>recent reconfigurations in its cultural, religious, and social
>landscape. The events of Sept. 11, 2001 have recast difference as a
>central trope of identification in urban settings, unleashing heated
>debates about cultural convergences and animating anxieties about an
>arguable clash of civilizations in modern cities. These emerging
>uncertainties have also grown stronger as the homogenizing forces of
>globalization unsettle essential principles of the nation-state and
>nationhood and render fixed perceptions of distinctive and singular
>people and cultures more tenuous. Recent scholarship and public
>discourse have accordingly framed discussions of these encounters
>around concerns of geo-political security and international policy;
>unfortunately, framed within these terms, our understanding of how
>various groups within the Mediterranean metropolis deal with the
>intensification of difference as a lived experience has remained
>regrettably thin. This conference seeks to transcend this limitation
>and explore new, interdisciplinary research paradigms that will help
>us gain a comprehensive perspective on how complex macro and micro
>tensions, contradictions and similarities are negotiated in building
>urban identities in the Mediterranean basin.
>
>Given the large social and cultural transformations wrought by steady
>waves of migration and a historical geographic predisposition to new
>cultural interactions and encounters, we seek to account and analyze
>competing narratives of the Mediterranean today through the
>reconfiguration of its cities. Much of the debate on the Mediterranean
>today has focused on a single and holistic conception of culture
>(i.e., Mediterranean borders as porous, the Mediterranean basin as
>locus of cultural exchange, Mediterranean cultures as more receptive
>of difference). This conference looks to inquire whether this vision
>of Mediterranean culture is as definite and rooted in todays urban
>environments.
>

>Proposals on the following topics are particularly welcome:
>
>What constitutes the Mediterranean city? What are some of its
>contemporary defining characteristics? Is there a new Mediterranean
>urban order as cities are re-inscribed in a new space of modernity?
>How are Mediterranean cities re-imagined as mediated articulations of
>place beyond the binary of the foreign and the indigenous?
>How do various mediations of the Mediterranean city through film,
>television, music, literature, architecture, etc. reflect patterns of
>broad historical, social and cultural change?
>In what ways does the Mediterranean city act as a stage for the
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885