[ecrea] calls for panel and papers for the next ECPR conference (section Internet & Politics), Reykjavik (Iceland), 25-27 August 2011

Wed Aug 18 13:44:58 GMT 2010

>Please find below a call for panel proposals for
>the section Internet & politics at the next ECPR
>General Conference and the calls for papers for four panels :
>
>- Internet and Politics : bridging current
>research and oulining future directions
>(Calderaro, Kavada) - deadline : 1st september 2010
>- New frontiers in studying online politics
>(Lorenzo Mosca) - deadline : August 30, 2010
>- Digital media and participatory democracy :
>Bridging the Political Gap ? (Yanina Welp and
>Clelia Colombo) - deadline : August 27
>- Digital politics : Collective action born in
>and from the Internet (Mayo Fuster and Johanna Niesyto) - deadline : August 30
>

>CALL FOR PANEL PROPOSALS
>
>6th ECPR General Conference
>University of Iceland, Reykjavík
>25 - 27 August 2011
>Section Internet & Politics
>
>Within the framework of the next ECPR General
>Conference, the Standing Group Internet and
>Politics is supporting the organization of the following section :
>Title of Section : Internet and Politics :
>bridging current research and outlining future directions
>
>Deadline : 1st September 2010
>
>Section Directors
>Andrea Calderaro, European University Institute
>Anastasia Kavada, University of Westminster
>
>Abstract
>In the last two decades, Information and
>Communication Technologies have generated an
>extensive debate on whether and how they affect
>the political sphere. While the field was
>initially divided into cyber-optimist and
>cyber-pessimist accounts, today a growing body
>of empirical research has moved away from this
>binary opposition by rendering a more balanced
>and nuanced account of the link between digital
>technology and democratic politics.
>Expanding on some of the themes addressed in the
>Internet and Politics section in Potsdam, the
>proposed section aims to enhance
>cross-fertilization in this fast-moving field of
>research. The purpose is to establish clear
>lines of dialogue between diverse theoretical
>and methodological approaches by bringing
>together scholars who are studying the role of
>the internet for different actors (political
>parties, social movements, non-governmental
>organizations etc.). This section will link
>panels that explore how key concepts in
>political science  such as activism, political
>participation, public opinion, and campaigning
>are affected by the growing integration of
>Information and Communication Technologies in Politics.
>Thus, this section invites panels that address :
>1. Conceptual and theoretical frameworks, which
>help to provide a solid basis for this enquiry,
>2. Methodological issues, discussing the
>challenges encountered by researchers in the
>field and the solutions, both quantitative and
>qualitative, that they can employ
>3. Empirical results that advance our
>understanding of the connection between the
>Internet and political engagement, campaigning and organizing.

> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885