[ecrea] PhD course on Genre at the University of Copenhagen

Tue Aug 17 14:07:33 GMT 2010

>Challenging genres  Genre challenges
>

>Time: 17 November 11 am -19 November 3 pm, 2010
>

>Place: University of Copenhagen
>

>Course organizers: Professor Anne Jerslev and
>Assistant Professor Mette Mortensen, Department
>of Media, Cognition and Communication, Section
>of Film and Media Studies, The University of Copenhagen.
>

>Course Content: Todayâ¬"s intensified blurring
>of boundaries between media, and between media
>and their audiences is challenging our
>understanding of genre. New genres emerge at the
>same rapid pace as old ones are contested or
>simply deemed out of date.  Even though terms
>such as genre hybridity and cross genres have
>pointed to generic instabilities and experiments
>for a couple decades, the altered modes of
>production and distribution raise a number of
>topical questions: How should we understand
>genre today? In which ways might genre be a
>productive term for conceptualizing and
>comprehending the new digital media landscape?
>And not least, do we need to change our notions
>of traditional generic expressions, e.g. in film and television?
>

>The focus of this PhD seminar is the
>transformation of genres. We welcome
>participants and presentations covering all
>aspects of genre and all media; theoretical as
>well as analytical contributions; contributions
>focusing on production processes, the market,
>the institutional framings and understandings of
>genre; new digital genres; questions of cross
>media and genre; questions of audience participation and genre.
>

>Presentations by senior scholars
>

>Genre in Media Production
>
>Hanne Bruun, Associate Professor, Department of
>Information and Media Studies, The University of Aarhus.
>
>How do we explain changes in media output? Are
>changes to media output a result of economic,
>political or other kinds of structural forces;
>or are they a result of the change producing
>agency of the media producers? I will suggest
>that taking a theoretical approach in pragmatic
>genre theory combined with the understanding of
>â¬Ügenre schemataâ¬" in socio-cognitive
>reception theory would help circumvent two
>classic dichotomies in media production
>analysis. Based on findings from my production
>analysis of Danish television satire, genre
>schemata seem to structure practices and belief
>systems among media professionals creating
>specific production cultures. However, these
>schemata change through the interpretation
>processes of media output production in
>recursive interplay with structural forces.
>

>Television series: Genre aesthetics and social history.
>
>Jostein Gripsrud, Professor, Department
>of  Information Science and Media Studies,
>University of Bergen⬨and Centre
>franco-norvégien en sciences sociales et
>humaines, Fondation Maison des Sciences de lâ¬"Homme, Paris.
>
>The basic idea in this paper is that the
>development of the TV series as an aesthetic
>form must be understood in relation to the
>history of television as a medium and a social
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885