[ecrea] Wikipedia Research Conference: CPOV in Leipzig

Wed Aug 04 08:21:54 GMT 2010

>[[Wikipedia:Ein kritischer Standpunkt]]
>September 25-26, 2010
>University Library Leipzig, Germany
>
>On 25th and 26th of September 2010 the German
>speaking conference [[Wikipedia:Ein kritischer
>Standpunkt]] ([[Wikipedia:Critical Point of
>View]]) will take place at the University
>Library in Leipzig, Germany. The conference will
>gather Wikipedia researchers, critics as well as
>community-members from the German-speaking world
>for an interdisciplinary debate. In particular
>the significance of Wikipedia for education,
>politics, culture and society will be discussed.
>
>Wikipedia is one of the largest, if not the
>largest, self-contained general knowledge
>reference of our time. It offers critical
>insights into the contemporary status of
>knowledge, its organizing principles, function,
>impact, production styles, mechanisms for
>conflict resolution, and relation to power
>(re-)constitution. New strategic and tactical
>operations of knowledge and power are clearly at
>work through Wikipedia. Of specific interest is
>the concept of 'the open', which is ambiguous
>within the social formation(s) constituted by
>Wikipedia, serving as both a rallying concept of
>digital democracy enthusiasts and as an
>ideoglical nodal point masking new agonistic encounters.
>
>In both material and perceptional ways, every
>new technology modifies the conditions of
>possibility for knowledge. The logic of
>technologies bleeds into the very structures and
>organizing principles of knowledge, and today
>both medium and message may reflect the ideas of
>the (organized) network, multitude, or the
>Deleuzian machine. It is through a selected mix
>of technological and normative conditions ­ the
>distributed architecture of the net, the Wiki
>software platform, commons-based property
>licenses and the FLOSS zeitgeist ­ that
>Wikipedia as the encyclopedia of the information
>age emerges, both continuing and transforming
>the Enlightenment encyclopedic impulse or will to know.
>
>The main topics of the conference are Wikipedia
>& The Politics of Open Knowledge, Digital
>Governance, and Wikipedia & Education. These
>topics derive from the significance of the
>online encyclopedia in the reconfiguration of
>knowledge (re-)production and its consequences
>for the public, architectures of participation,
>and political education in a media democracy.
>Alongside presentations of established scholars
>like Christian Stegbauer, Peter Haber, Rainer
>Hammwöhner, Ramón Reichert, and Ulrich Johannes
>Schneider, the programme of the conference will
>consist of a panel discussion of Wikipedia
>community-members and critics, as well as
>Wikipedia-workshops and a research network meeting.
>
>The research network meeting addresses Wikipedia
>researchers to discuss their current research
>and draft new research projects. Especially
>aimed for young academics, the research network
>meeting is planned as open space, allowing its
>participants to actively engage in the event as
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885