[ecrea] Call for Proposals: International Conference on Asian Culture Industries, Bangalore

Tue Aug 03 09:21:41 GMT 2010

>Call for Papers
>
>International Conference on Asian Culture Industries:
>
>A Comparative Study of India, Japan and South Korea
>
>21st December 2010  22nd December 2010, Bangalore
>

>The Culture: Industries and Diversity in Asia
>(CIDASIA) research programme of CSCS invites
>proposals for papers at the International
>Conference on Asian Culture Industries to be
>held in Bangalore on 21st and 22nd December
>2010. The conference is supported by Japan Foundation, New Delhi.
>

>We invite scholars working on cinema,
>television, pop music, animation, gaming, in
>Asia in general and India, Japan and South Korea
>in particular to send in their proposals. We
>also welcome proposals from researchers working
>on the recent history of entertainment
>industries and government policy towards in these industries.
>

>The primary intention of the conference is to
>explore the possibility of comparative studies
>of entertainment industries in Asia. We focus on
>India, Japan and South Korea as a convenient
>starting point. The conference would like to
>examine the two way movement of cultural
>commodities in and out of these countries.
>Papers on the reception of cultural forms from
>these countries in other Asian locations too are
>welcome. We are not interested in papers devoted
>to detailed analyses of specific cultural texts.
>

>The culture industries of the countries under
>consideration have been largely inward looking
>for much of the post-colonial and post-imperial
>period. In the second half of the twentieth
>century they developed on the strength/weakness
>of their domestic markets, unlike Hong Kong
>which has a long and unbroken history of
>producing films for export. The conference will
>focus on the post-1990 period when for different
>reasons including underground circulation of
>cultural commodities in international markets,
>systematic efforts began to be made in these
>countries to export entertainment.
>

>The export of entertainment by Asian countries
>is coeval with the increasing economic
>importance of cultural production and
>consumption in todays world. In India, for
>example, government agencies have estimated that
>cultural and creative industries contribute up
>to 34% of the GDP and employ 30% of the
>workforce. The circulation of cultural
>commodities in contexts other than those of
>their production draws attention to the hitherto
>under-researched area, namely the increased
>interface between culture and economics. In a
>global context where cultural production and
>consumption are engines of the economy, the
>manner in which cultural commodities flow, the
>resistances they encounter, the ways in which
>they are localized, transformed, and engender
>new cultural practices and have social and
>economic consequence that are completely
>unanticipated by the production centre are issues the conference will address.
>

>We would like to examine questions related to
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885