Archive for calls, July 2010

[ecrea] Call for Submissions - Call for Contributions, Third Edition Race/Gender/Media: Considering Diversity Across Audiences, Content, and Producers

Sat Jul 24 07:55:05 GMT 2010

http://www.wunrn.com

Call for Contributions, Third Edition
Race/Gender/Media:
Considering Diversity Across Audiences, Content, and Producers

Edited by: Rebecca Ann Lind <mailto:(rebecca /at/ uic.edu)> , University of
Illinois at Chicago

Contracted With: AB-Longman. See AB-Longman website link to 1st
edition
<http://www.ablongman.com/catalog/academic/product/0,1144,0205344194,00.html>
. See also AB-Longman website link to 2nd edition
<http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/RaceGenderMedia-Considering-Diversity-Across-Audiences-Content-and-Producers-2E/0205537359.page>
.

Purpose: The third edition of this edited reader will present an
array of scholarship designed primarily to introduce undergraduates
to considerations of race and gender in the media. Though written so
that lower level students will be able to engage with the content, I
want the book to be interesting and sophisticated enough to also
appeal to juniors and seniors, who may be the largest consumers of
the text. Some lower-level graduate courses (specifically those that
also enroll advanced undergrads) also may find this of value. The
text will emphasize critical and reflective thinking about these
issues, and will encourage critical consumption of mediated messages.
The first two editions contained mostly original work, but revisions
of recently published works are more than welcome.

Contributor Payment: Contributors will be paid $100 per chapter for
each chapter that is received according to the schedule. (Multiple
authors will share the $100.) Chapters received late will receive
lesser amounts, to be specified.

Submission Procedure and Timeline: Potential contributors should
email me a Word document presenting a proposal of the chapter
including the following: Title, detailed description of the work, the
work's past history (conference presentation etc., including the name
of the copyright holder if not the author), Author(s) names,
affiliation, and contact information. Please also specify whether if
accepted, you will be able to submit the completed chapter by January
1, 2011. I encourage you to look at previous editions for ideas
regarding content and presentation.

I encourage all potential contributors to present all of their
potential ideas. Feel free to specify which of your ideas you'd most
like to present, and whether any might not be able to complete a
certain idea by January 1, or anything else you'd like me to know.
It's possible that your idea will be so interesting that I want to
use it, even if you can't get it done by our deadline -- but you'd
need to propose an alternate deadline.

Topics of Special Interest: The third edition will see a substantial
infusion of new material, which will replace current material. "New
material" could mean new topics, new approaches, or just new
analyses/considerations of topics that are already in the book. I
will update this page after hearing back from reviewers who are
making suggestions about the third edition, but for now, please don't
ignore the following -- not all of which, I realize, are "topics":

Social media

Online gaming (World of Warcraft? Or others)

Minority media

First person pieces by media professionals

Interviews with media professionals

Media effects (including social scientific or experimental studies)

Expanding the range of racial/ethnic groups covered in the book

Considerations of whiteness, and of masculinities

Music

Prime Time Television Programming

For More Information: More details on the following topics is
available by clicking the following links. Obviously, this will be of
most value to people who are selected to prepare chapters, but you
might find it helpful when considering ideas you want to submit.

Timeline <http://tigger.uic.edu/~rebecca/timeline_3e.html>

Chapter Content and Presentation
<http://tigger.uic.edu/~rebecca/content_3e.html>

Style & Format <http://tigger.uic.edu/~rebecca/format_3e.html>

"It's Your Turn" -- Pedagogical Activities
<http://tigger.uic.edu/~rebecca/pedagogy_3e.html>

Rebecca's contact info: Rebecca Ann Lind, Assistant Vice Chancellor
for Research. University of Illinois at Chicago, Office of the Vice
Chancellor for Research (m/c 672), 1737 W. Polk Street, Suite 310,
Chicago IL 60612-7227. Phone: 312-996-3533. Fax: 312-413-0238. Email:
(rebecca /at/ uic.edu) <mailto:(rebecca /at/ uic.edu)>

Send your proposal electronically (Microsoft Word) to: Rebecca Ann
Lind, (rebecca /at/ uic.edu) <mailto:(rebecca /at/ uic.edu)> .

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885