Archive for calls, May 2010

[ecrea] Open Video Conference 2010, Oct. 1-2, NYC: call for proposals ** Submission deadline: June 7th, 2010 **

Tue May 18 04:55:06 GMT 2010

Open Video Conference: call for proposals
** Submission deadline: June 7th, 2010 **
** http://openvideoconference.org/proposals < http://openvideoconference.org/proposals> **

We are now accepting proposals for panels, presentations, workshop sessions, demo sessions, and other programming for the next Open Video Conference in New York City. Join us and over 1000 participants during our groundbreaking two-day conference and take part in the discussions that are driving the future of the online video medium.

Travel funding is available. Visit http://openvideoconference.org/proposals/ < http://openvideoconference.org/proposals/> to make a submission.

About the Conference

Open Video Conference
October 1-2, 2010
New York City

The Open Video Alliance is proud to present Open Video Conference 2010.

Open video is the idea that the moving image should belong to everyone. This vision requires not only free and open video technologies, but also that viewers are empowered to go beyond just watching­creating, sharing, and engaging in the multimedia public sphere they now inhabit.

The Open Video Conference (OVC) is a multi-day summit of thought leaders in business, academia, art, and activism to explore the future of online video. The first Open Video Conference was host to over 800 guests, including 150 workshop leaders, panelists and speakers. Over 8,000 viewers tuned in from home to watch the live broadcast. The event earned coverage in WIRED, NewTeeVee, BBC News, Filmmaker Magazine, and The New Yorker.

This year, OVC is expanding. In addition to highlighting the industry’s progress toward open video, OVC2010 will feature inspiring talks, hands-on workshops, technology working groups, film screenings, and much more. It’s as much about the underlying technologies as the people and projects who use them. Whether you are a developer, a storyteller, an entrepreneur, an academic, or just a citizen of the web, OVC will spark your imagination for what’s possible with video on the web.

Check out the 2009 conference program < http://openvideoalliance.org/2009program.pdf>  to learn more, or visit http://openvideoconference.org < http://openvideoconference.org/> .

What types of proposals are you seeking?

We are requesting proposals and ideas for panels, presentations, workshops, and other sessions that will address how we can shape online video or take part in the public debates around the medium. Proposals may be intended for the main conference track, or for more focused unconference-style sessions. Proposal topics may be legal, technical, or cultural in focus, though we encourage proposals in all relevant areas. The more complete and fleshed out a proposal, the more likely it will be accepted­but we welcome the submission of all good ideas.

We also welcome suggestions on relevant speakers or projects. OVC is a big tent­if you have a person or project to recommend, we want to hear from you!  To make a submission, visit http://openvideoconference.org/proposals.The < http://openvideoconference.org/proposals.The> deadline to submit a proposal is June 7th, 2010 at 11:59 PM EST (GMT -5).

What do you mean by "open video"?

In the narrowest technical sense, open video is the idea that basic video technologies must be available in free and open source implementations. But more than that, open video is a vision for a participatory medium, in which individuals are empowered to wield video to share their message as powerfully as they can with text. For its potential to be fully realized, online video must be a dynamic medium that invites clipping, archival, remix, collage, repurposing, and other transformations that are currently inhibited by law or by lack of tools.

How does the conference work?

OVC is a bit like a festival. Over two days, we will host a continuous main track in the auditorium. These sessions are designed to have the widest appeal, and will interest anyone with a stake in online video. In addition, workshops and other events will take place on an ongoing basis. The conference schedule is a product of this call for participation, so we want to hear from you!

Do you provide funding?

The OVA selection committee will award travel grants to the most promising sessions, in accordance with need and other factors. Since OVC is a non-profit event, we kindly ask that you seek funding from your company or institution before accepting a travel grant.

When will you notify me about the status of my submission?

We will be in touch no later than June 21th about the status of all submissions.

About the Open Video Alliance

The Open Video Alliance, founded in 2009, is a coalition of leading organizations dedicated to fostering the growth of open infrastructure, tools, and standards for the online video medium. OVA members include Mozilla, Kaltura, Participatory Culture Foundation, and the Yale Law School Information Society Project. To learn about membership or conference sponsorship, please get in touch at (conference /at/ openvideoalliance.org) < mailto:(conference /at/ openvideoalliance.org)> .

http://openvideoalliance.org < http://openvideoalliance.org/>

Ben Moskowitz
General coordinator, Open Video Alliance
http://openvideoalliance.org
Contact: (714) 420-6471