[ecrea] CFP:Image 2.0: Digital Media Futures Conference University College Falmouth

Fri Jan 23 13:08:37 GMT 2009

Call for Papers

Image 2.0: Digital Media Futures
Interdisciplinary Conference
University College Falmouth
Tremough Campus
Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
Date: Septber 10th-11th September 2009
Proposal (250-500 words) deadline: 10th March 2009

Rationale:
This interdisciplinary conference aims to examine intersections between digital technologies and visual media. Organised by Falmouth?s School of Media, the conference will provide a space for debate on the present state and the future of visual media as they enter a new stage of development, where established boundaries between disciplines
and practices, as well as between producers and consumers, are dissolving.

We invite both traditional academic research papers and practice-based presentations to promote cooperation and exchange of experience between scholars, media practitioners and media teachers (A-Level teachers are invited to send proposals of papers based on their experience. The fields and disciplines that the conference will focus on include film studies, photography, web design, advertising and digital animation. Other academic or creative fields will be considered insofar as the exploration of their modes of practice
refers to (or relies on) digital technologies.

Call for papers:
We invite established scholars, emerging researchers and graduate students to present papers on a wide variety of topics but are particularly interested in theoretical and
practice-based approaches to the following:
? Textual/genre analysis (how digital media affects visual storytelling in film,
photography and animation genres);
? Distribution/production/exhibition of creative visual work in the global (or national) context (Internet film exhibition, web publishing, accessibility, interactivity, new forms of
leisure and media consumption. Media 2.0, Web 2.0);
? Representations (digitally based minority creative groups and subcultures, digital media in relation to gender, sexuality, race, immigration, and visibility within the
dominant culture);
? The changing nature of the moving image (reception and audiences of digitally based film and animation, YouTube, MySpace, video streaming, digital archiving); ? Art vs. commerce (the blurring distinction between the two, photography and
creative advertising);
? Learning and Teaching (digitally based research and methodologies for analysing
visual media, vlogging, digital archives);
? Alternative cinema (digital technologies and their impact on producing animation,
documentary, pornography, experimental films, music videos, etc.);
? Legal and ethical aspects of digitally based visual media (control, censorship,
pressure groups, copyrights).

Submission guidelines (paper proposals):
Please email the title of your proposed presentation and 250-500 word abstract with a 100 word biographical statement. Please note that long CVs will be rejected. All proposals
must be included in the body of a single email.
There is no application form to fill out.
Email: (image2conference /at/ falmouth.ac.uk)

Deadline for paper proposals:
10th March 2009
If your proposal is accepted we will notify you by the end of March.

Call for creative work:
As a part of the event, we intend to put up an exhibition of digital photography and illustration, as well as a space with facilities for streaming videos. Therefore, we encourage entries of photographic, illustration, poster, and film work from media practitioners, artists, graduate and undergraduate students. Any piece of original work is invited as long as the images and films are digitally based. Those submitting will be fully responsible for any copyright clearance related to their work (including music).

Submission guidelines (creative work):

Photographs, illustrations and posters: Please send your works as email attachments (jpg files) and once your work is accepted we will ask you to forward either prints or high-
resolution files to us. Limit: 5 pieces per entrant.
Email: (image2conference /at/ falmouth.ac.uk)

Short films and video installations (up to 10 minutes):
Please send a clearly marked DVD to:
Anna Misiak
Image 2.0 Conference
Film
Tremough Campus
University College Falmouth
Penryn, Cornwall TR10 9EZ
England

Deadline for creative work:
If your work is accepted we will notify you by 18th June 2009

University College Falmouth and Cornwall:
University College Falmouth nurtures a culture of excellence, exploration and
collaboration that compels our students to produce groundbreaking work. This unique combination provides a backdrop that will fire your imagination. UCF has a reputation across the art, design, media and performance industries locally, nationally and internationally as a place to find innovation and the industry stars of the future. UCF is a
member of Skillset Academy.
To find out more about our university and its location please visit: www.falmouth.ac.uk
and www.visitcornwall.com/site/tourist-attractions

New books:
Discourse Theory and Cultural Analysis. Media, Arts and Literature.
Nico Carpentier & Erik Spinoy (Eds.) @ Hampton Press
http://www.hamptonpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1-57273-810-3&Category_Code=Q208
&
Democracy, Journalism and Technology