Archive for calls, June 2008

[ecrea] CFP-3rd Edinburgh International Film Audiences Conference

Wed Jun 25 11:53:22 GMT 2008

>3rd Edinburgh International Film Audiences Conference
>
>March 26th ­ 27th 2009
>
>Filmhouse, Lothian Road, Edinburgh
>

>Is the audience ever wrong? Exploring the worlds of film audiences.
>

>An audience is never wrong. An individual member of it may be an imbecile,
>but a thousand imbeciles together in the dark - that is critical genius.
>Billy Wilder made this comment about audiences but just how much do we know
>about what film audiences think and how often are they credited with being
>geniuses or more often seen as imbeciles? Empirical research into film
>audiences is a small but developing field and this conference continues its
>aim of providing a space where those involved or interested in this area can
>come together to share research findings and discuss future ideas. Whilst
>the conference will appeal primarily to academics it is not confined to
>them. Previous conferences have had contributions from those directly
>involved in the film industry and this is to be welcomed. We are very
>pleased to announce that the opening and closing speakers have been
>confirmed. The opening speaker is Professor Ian Christie, from the School of
>Art, Film and Visual Media, Birkbeck, University of London. He is Vice
>President of Europa Cinemas <http://www.europa-cinemas.org/> , an EU funded
>organisation which supports exhibitors throughout Europe who show European
>films, and a Trustee of the Independent Film Parliament. He is also a
>regular reviewer and broadcaster on film matters. The closing speaker is Dr
>Sean Perkins. He has been Research Executive at the UK Film Council since
>2001.  His research interests include UK and global theatrical markets, the
>UK video and online markets, film on television and film audiences. He has
>managed research projects on the impact of local cinema and a qualitative
>study of avid cinemagoers.
>

>There is only one criterion for proposed papers: they should be concerned
>with empirical research into film audiences. The audiences can be anywhere
>in the world and for any genre of film. They can be historical pieces of
>work that explore the construction of film audiences through governmental
>policy or pieces that look at the construction of fans via archival
>material. We are happy to receive abstracts from students and new
>researchers as well as established researchers no matter what their
>background is.
>

>The conference takes place over two days in the heart of Edinburgh. One of
>the main attractions for participants is that we only run single track
>sessions ­ no more difficult decisions about who to go and listen to or the
>awful experience of presenting to just a couple of people whilst everyone
>else has gone to hear the famous speaker! Everyone is guaranteed a decent
>audience plus 30 minutes to present their paper followed by 15 minutes of
>questions ­ and we are very proud of our reputation regarding time-keeping.

> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/