Archive for calls, May 2005

[eccr] a paper on Schmitt and the public sphere?

Tue May 03 13:50:36 GMT 2005

>Greetings to all,
>
>You might have heard of the "Workshops in Political Theory" organised by
>Jules Townshend (Manchester Metropolitan) and Joe Femia (Liverpool). The
>first one took place in Manchester last year, and the second one will be
>there too, on 7-9 September. It consists of approximately 15 simultaneous
>workshops. The format is very conducive to discussions: no public other
>than the actual participants of the workshop (and perhaps the odd visitor
>from another workshop), and each person gets 30 minutes for their
>presentation and 30 for the discussion of their paper, although people
>tend to go back to previous papers during the 4 half-day sessions. For
>more info seee
>http://www.hlss.mmu.ac.uk/polphil/news/event.php?id=37/timetable/.
>
>I am co-organising one of the workshops (on the public sphere) together
>with Noel O'Sullivan from Hul. Our workshop already has a full list of
>participants, but we are still interested in an imaginative paper on Carl
>Schmitt. More specifically, we are looking for someone who has worked or
>is willing to work on a paper on the notion of publicness in Schmitt's
>reflection on the political. The idea is to address his silence on this
>issue given that Schmitt famously claims that the enemy is always a public
>enemy without elaborating on what does he means by 'publicness' (except
>for the commonplace references to the distinction between inimicus/hostis
>and a few passing remarks).
>
>Is there anyone there interested to take up the challenge of writing on
>this subject?
>
>Best,
>
>Benjamin
>
>Dr. Benjamin Arditi
>Centro de Estudios Políticos
>Facultad de Ciencias Políticas y Sociales
>UNAM
>Ciudad de Mexico
>Mexico
>
>Tel/Fax: (++ 5255) 5663-0097

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info