Archive for October 2016

[ecrea] FilmForum/MAGIS – International Film Studies Spring School 2017

Fri Oct 21 11:13:43 GMT 2016

We are pleased to inform you that registration is open for the 2017 *FilmForum/MAGIS – International Film Studies Spring School*, which will be held from March 29 to April 1, 2017 in the charming city of Gorizia, Italy. We would be grateful if you could circulate this document among your students and colleagues.

FilmForum/MAGIS Spring School is an international film and media studies conference (especially aimed at MA and PhD students and early career researchers) organized by the University of Udine (Italy) in collaboration with: Concordia University, Montreal; Fachhochschule Potsdam; Università degli Studi di Bari “Aldo Moro”; Université de Montréal; Université du Québec à Montréal; Université Sorbonne Nouvelle – Paris 3; University of Malta.

Inaugurated in 2003, FilmForum has now become one of the most important events in the field of film and media studies, also being considered highly influential across several other disciplines. The School is in fact internationally renowned for its interdisciplinary flair, for the originality of its approaches, and for its cutting edge topics.

FilmForum features:

- morning plenary sessions: conference lectures held by distinguished keynote speakers

- workshops: smaller group seminars where students interact with scholars, media professionals, artists, and curators

- an exciting evening screenings programme

- social events to facilitate face-to-face interaction among students and between students and scholars.

For these reasons, the School represents a vibrant research context as well as a lively and friendly learning environment, where students can engage in fruitful conversations with fellow colleagues from all over the world, exchange ideas with more experienced scholars, and create new collaborations, thus enhancing their academic experiences and careers.

For its 2017 edition, FilmForum promotes *a new research project*.

*No Turning Back – Re-Thinking the Postmodern*

The MAGIS – International Film Studies Spring School will celebrate its 15^th edition by addressing the possible archaeologies and genealogies of the “postmodern”, whose framework, despite its hints about the End of History (from Lyotard’s “End of Great Narratives” [1979] to Fukuyama’s theories [1992]) seems to have today, most of all, a historical value. In other words, in a moment when the notion of “postmodern” does not describe our present time anymore, we are compelled to ask ourselves whether the contemporary media landscape still has a name or not. Our main goal, then, is to unravel the theoretical knots concerning the postmodern as a historical phenomenon and its aftermath within the epistemic frame of film and media studies. We will reflect in particular on the following topics: on the one hand, which film and media practices should be considered inherently postmodern; how film and media cultures developed during the postmodern era; how the political framework of the postmodern era influenced film and media production; and, more broadly, how we can imagine a media archaeology of the postmodern. On the other, referring to /Supplanting the Postmodern /(Rudrum and Stavris, 2015), we will investigate the field of post-postmodernism opening new ways for the analysis of the contemporary film and media landscape, its practical groundwork, and its theoretical framework.

Drawing on their own specific disciplinary interests and methodological perspectives, the five sections of the School – Cinema and Contemporary Arts, Film Heritage, Media Archaeology, Porn Studies, and Post-Cinema – will explore different aspects of postmodern (and post-postmodern) culture and theory.

(See the attached Call for Papers for further information).

We kindly invite you to encourage students at your Department of informatics and Media to take advantage of this unique learning opportunity. The FilmForum offers students two different registration opportunities:

1) The *Full FilmForum Registration Fee* is € 180 and *includes 5 nights accommodation *(Bed & Breakfast).

2) The *Simple Registration Fee *is € 70 and guarantees the possibility to access all the sessions, workshops, and evening screenings (NOTE that in this case participants will be responsible of their own accommodation).

*Deadline for registration is January 20, 2017.*

To register and for further information on payment methods and accommodation, please contact: (students.magis /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(students.magis /at/ gmail.com)>.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any queries or wish to discuss the matter further.

We very much look forward to hearing from you.
Yours sincerely,

/FilmForum - MAGIS Spring School Organisation Board/