Archive for April 2015

[ecrea] CfP: International conference on Sustainable Devt

Wed Apr 15 20:59:52 GMT 2015

CALL FOR PAPERS
An International Conference
will be held at the
CHIANG MAI UNIVERSITY, THAILAND
17-21 DECEMBER 2015

on the theme of
"COMMUNICATION/CULTURE AND THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS (SDGs).
Future challenges for theory and praxis "

IMPORTANT DATES:
Abstracts submission deadline: 15 July 2015 at (9cssc9 /at/ gmail.com)
Final Paper (Camera-Ready) Submission Deadline: 1 October 2015 at
(9cssc9 /at/ gmail.com)
Early Bird Registration Deadline: 1 November 2015

CONFERENCE THEME:
The problems we face today regarding climate change, terrorism,
pandemics, and deep fractures in world trade and commerce are unlikely
to be solved quickly.

Whereas in the past, we were able to increase food production over a
few cropping cycles, or establish income generating ventures in a
couple of years, the "new" problems we face may take years, and in the
case of climate change, several generations for the world community to
resolve. How do we build consensus and muster the altruistic intent of
the present generation to consume less, de-escalate conflict, and
subject ourselves to medical research so that future generations who
will exist long after we are gone may inherit a habitable planet?

The tried and tested methods of agriculture extension, social
mobilization, community participation, and multi-lateral negotiation
are unlikely to succeed on their own as these systemic problems grow
in their severity and people submit to innate human instincts for
self-preservation and compete even more keenly for rapidly dwindling
natural resources, ratchet-up violence, resist Hippocratic principles
to share limited supplies of vaccines and medicines, hoard energy and
water, and close markets to international commerce.

We do not have appropriate strategies to begin addressing these "new"
and highly complex challenges.   At the 2012 edition of the World
Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, the background report on the
global risks our world faces clearly stated that three common,
crosscutting observations emerged from the varied groups of experts
consulted:

-- Decision-makers need to improve understanding of incentives that
will improve collaboration in response to global risks;

-- Trust, or lack of trust, is perceived to be a crucial factor in how
risks may manifest themselves. In particular, this refers to
confidence, or lack thereof, in leaders, in the systems which ensure
public safety and in the tools of communication that are
revolutionizing how we share and digest information;

--- Communication and information sharing on risks must be improved by
introducing greater transparency about uncertainty and conveying it to
the public in a meaningful way.

In other words, more and more one considers communication and culture
to be crucial to effectively tackle the major problems of today. The
challenge for us is to assess the role and importance of Communication
and Culture in the new Sustainable Development Goals, especially for
the ASEAN region.

We herewith call for papers that outline and assess these future
challenges for theory and praxis from a number of inter-related and
transdisciplinary perspectives.

REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMISSIONS:
1. Abstracts of about 800 words, in English, have to be send to the
organizers of the conference at  <(9cssc9 /at/ gmail.com)> before 15 July
2015.

2. Panel Proposals are welcome for submission. A minimum of three
papers centering on a specific topic will be accepted for submission
under Panel Category.

3. Abstracts will be assessed by the scientific committee. Applicants
will receive a reply before 15 August 2015.

4. Full papers have to be submitted by 1 October 2015 the latest.
Papers submitted must be original and have never been published in any
format before. The paper should be of a length of  8000 words maximum.

The submission must be in Word or rtf. format and sent to <(9cssc9 /at/ gmail.com)>

Specific guidelines on formatting will be provided upon request. This
is to facilitate compilation of papers for publication and anonymous
review.

PUBLICATION OPPORTUNITIES:
A selection of the best papers will, after peer review, be published
either as special issues in the following academic journals:
- Telematics and Informatics. An Interdisciplinary Journal on the
Social Impacts of New Technologies <
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/703/description#description>

- Asian Social Research ASR. Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities
of Chiang Mai University http://cmuj.cmu.ac.th

or considered for the following book series:
-          Communication, Culture and Change in Asia, Springer
Publisher, Singapore
-          Communication, Globalization, and Cultural Identity,
Lexington Books, Rowman & Littlefield.

MEMBERS OF THE SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE include:
Dr. Maria Francesch-Huidobro (City University of Hong Kong)
Prof. Rico Lie (Wageningen University)
Dr. Patchanee Malikhao (Fecund Communication, Hong Kong),
Prof Jan Servaes (City University of Hong Kong),
Prof. Marianne Sison (RMIT Melbourne)
Dr. Song Shi (McGill University, Montreal)
Prof. Jo Tacchi (RMIT Melbourne)
Prof. Chayan Vaddhanaphuti (Chiang Mai University)
Prof. Karin Wilkins (University of Texas at Austin)
Prof. Loes Witteveen
Prof. Rachel E. Khan (University of the Philippines)

PRACTICAL INFORMATION AND UPDATES:
The conference will be hosted by the Regional Center for Social
Science and Sustainable Development (RCSD) at Chiang Mai University in
partnership with the BGreen Project, City University of Hong Kong,
Connect4Climate/World Bank, RMIT Melbourne, University of Texas at
Austin, Wageningen University.

Detailed information on fees, access and hotel possibilities will be
provided in due time. Please check http://rcsd.soc.cmu.ac.th for
regular updates.