Archive for October 2014

[ecrea] Companion to the Gangster Film

Wed Oct 08 00:01:22 GMT 2014

*CALL FOR PAPERS:*

* *

*A Companion to the Gangster Film*, edited by George S. Larke-Walsh PhD, (University of North Texas)

This volume will explore the gangster genre as a global phenomenon; what makes it so distinct from other crime films and what makes it so appealing to twentieth and twenty-first century audiences. To that end I am seeking new scholarship on the gangster film not only in America, but also across the globe. I am primarily interested in work on films from the UK, France, Italy, Russia, India, Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea, but I am also open to other suggestions.

The book is already under contract with Wiley-Blackwell and I have divided it into four key areas of study, each consisting of approximately 5-6 essays at 8-10,000 words each. These areas are each designed to encourage contributors to consider their topics from a global perspective. Please consider the sub-headings as opening guidelines to help you position your topic.

*Part One:* *Gangsters in the Industry:** **Production, Distribution and Reception*

Censorship: Hollywood (Effects on Classical or Post-classical films)

Creating the Gangster (cross-cultural influences on the development of Gangster identities, iconography and ideology)

Fandom (can be about distribution of films and popularity)

Beyond the Frame (merchandising, spin-offs – such as /The Godfather/ phenomenon)

Distribution (cross-cultural influences, political or financial influences)

*Part Two:** **Mythologies of the Mafia*

New Russian Heroes (films of the 90s and beyond)

Italian-American influences (on American film, or internationally)

Hong Kong Gangster films (cross-cultural influences)

British Gangsters (gangland mythology – any era)

Myths versus realities

*Part Three:** **Politics of Organized Crime*

Organized crime as Capitalism: a celebration or critique

Mafia as an organization and its effect on the wider community

Corruption narratives

Class (social order, criminal hierarchies)

Socio-cultural Traditions that influence organized crime (roots, causes of crime)

*Part Four:** **Gangster Identities*

Cross-cultural influences

Ethnicity (The ambiguities of ethnic identity within particular cultures)

Exclusive societies and/or the dispossessed

Concepts of Heroism or Villainy as a gangster identity

Gangsters on the edge of organizations (assassins, street guys etc)

Please send an abstract of your topic (approx. 300 words) to (larkewalsh /at/ unt.edu) by November 14^th 2014. If you have any specific questions about the volume or your contribution do not hesitate to contact me before the deadline.