Archive for April 2014

[ecrea] [in]Transition: Journal of Videographic Film and Moving Image Studies

Thu Apr 10 09:19:23 GMT 2014

I am writing to inform you about the recent launch of [in]Transition, a new open access periodical, co-edited Christian Keathley, Drew Morton and I.

[in]Transition – a collaboration between MediaCommons and the Society for Cinema and Media Studies’ official publication Cinema Journal – is the first peer-reviewed academic journal of videographic film and moving image studies. [in]Transition has a highly distinguished editorial board and is project-managed for MediaCommons by Jason Mittell and for Cinema Journal by Chris Becker, CJ's online editor.

You can read more about the project here, and about videographic film studies and its lineage more generally in the Resources page here. The curated videos in issue 1 include Laura Mulvey’s motion study of Marilyn Monroe, kogonada’s essay on neorealism, Benjamin Sampson’s exploration of Orson Welles’ F for Fake, and Thomas Elsaesser, Anne Bachmann and Jonas Moberg’s compilation video series entitled ‘Bergman’s Senses’.

One of the main goals of this journal, in its first year and beyond, is to generate discourse and understanding about audiovisual moving image studies, and we would very much like to be able to count on the insights and questions of our viewers/readers in this particular aspect of our project. So please visit the journal website and see whether you'd like to record any of your thoughts -- about the scholarly and expressive possibilities of such videos, and about how peer review processes might work best in relation to them -- in the form of comments on the curatorial notes by the editors.

You can also watch video recordings (linked to below) of the SCMS conference workshop on Visualizing Media Studies, on March 20th, which launched [in]Transition, with contributions by Chris Becker, Drew Morton, me, Christian Keathley, Matthias Stork, Benjamin Sampson, Jason Mittell, and a very lively and interested audience. This session was livestreamed and then archived for online viewing.

* SCMS Workshop -Visualizing Media Studies Part 1 (0:14:00 - scroll to 5:58 for Chris Becker's introduction and then to 8:40 for the first part of Drew Morton's presentation) * SCMS Workshop -Visualizing Media Studies Part 2 (1:35:49 - DM's presentation continues then scroll to 4:20 for Catherine Grant; to 20:50 for Christian Keathley; to 28:14 for Matthias Stork; to 40:00 for Ben Sampson; to 54:30 for Jason Mittell; and to 58:15 for the Q&A session)

Best wishes

Catherine, Christian and Drew

Dr Catherine Grant
Senior Lecturer in Film Studies