Archive for January 2014

[ecrea] CFP: Fourth Annual Creative Summit in 3D Stereoscopic Media, Ravensbourne, London

Sat Jan 18 14:45:55 GMT 2014

Call for Papers

Stereoscopic 3D: A Creative Summit on Connecting With Audiences

Wednesday 12th and Thursday 13th March 2013, The British Film Institute, South Bank, London, United Kingdom: http://www.bfi.org.uk

Ravensbourne (www.rave.ac.uk) and the i3DS Society (http://tinyurl.com/crfcmbq), have great pleasure in calling for papers for the fourth annual international Creative Summit. The conference includes a half-day research strand that will offer an opportunity for academia and industry to critically examine stereoscopic media in the field of film, television, and other content that may inform the field.

Sergei Eisenstein believed that connecting with audiences was at the heart of filmmaking or, as he put it, understanding how to “’throw a bridge’ across the gulf separating the spectator and the actor” (Mendiburu et al, 2012). A number of notable recent films explore how stereoscopic 3D might enhance this connection. Ang Lee’s Life of Pi explores how to use 3D to create a greater feeling of presence for the viewer; we are invited to ‘be’ Pi. In Gravity the viewer is encouraged to experience the grandeur of space and offered an overload of technical information in order to understand the immediate and often terrifying choices facing astronauts in their not-so-everyday working lives. Television spectaculars such as the Doctor Who anniversary, and more short-form independent 3D content for Internet distribution are also contributing to our understanding of how to create the bridges Eisenstein felt were so essential.

We call for presentations from either practical or theoretical perspectives on the following themes, but welcome any contributions that inform how the use of the third dimension assists us to connect with audiences:

* How are writers inviting audiences to become immersed in story or the mise-en-scène?

* What cinematographic techniques are being pioneered to draw us into the frame? * Can pre-visualisation tools amplify what immersive experiences we can construct? * Are we now developing an aesthetic that is particular to stereoscopic media? * Does the convergence of film and gaming offer opportunities to draw the audience more effectively into augmented gaming worlds?

We will be accepting around 10 papers or presentations on the topics above that will be part of the main conference proceedings on the afternoon of the first day.

Abstracts should be sent in the form of 500 word abstracts to the selection committee via (lizzie.jackson /at/ rave.ac.uk) by Monday 17th February 2014. When submitting your abstracts, please also state your name, affiliation, and provide a one-paragraph biography.

Accepted papers/presentations will receive a conference fee waiver.

Kind regards,

Lizzie

--
Lizzie Jackson,