Archive for January 2014

[ecrea] CFP: Crossworlds Conference

Tue Jan 14 01:56:19 GMT 2014

Call for Papers

CROSSWORLDS: THEORY, DEVELOPMENT,&  EVALUATION OF SOCIAL TECHNOLOGY

30th June and July 1st, 2014
Chemnitz, Germany

Chemnitz University of Technology
www.tu-chemnitz.de
www.crossworlds.info/conference

Organizers: Research Training Group Crossworlds, Department of Computer Science, and Institute for Media Research

We invite researchers from various disciplines to submit short papers to CrossWorlds 2014, the 1st international conference on theory, development, and evaluation of social technology. Social technologies include both technologies that directly interact with users (e.g. social robots, virtual agents, assistance systems) and technologies that facilitate the interaction between two or more users (e.g. computer mediated communication, multiplayer games, multitouch tables).

Digital technologies have become an inherent part of our society, thus evolving into social actors themselves. This development changed the focus of research from questioning the general potential of technologies to more specific issues. Research from different disciplines addresses topics from modeling social aspects of technology to the design of human-computer interfaces. Following these focused approaches, it becomes even more important to understand the emerging connections between users, contexts and social technologies.

The conference addresses this issue and provides a platform for vital discussions about different aspects of social technology. To enable a broad debate on the subject, approaches from various disciplines, methods and perspectives are encouraged. Presentations may feature algorithms, technology, implemented systems, empirical research, and theoretical considerations.

Conference topics include (but are not limited to):
•    What makes social technology social and intelligent and which procedures can be employed?
•    How can we model social behavior theoretically and practically?
•    Do we need new methods? How can we assess social interaction in the context of technology usage and development?
•    Which methodological approaches are appropriate for evaluation? Can social technology evaluate itself?
•    How can we account for ethical issues as well as non-affirmative and critical approaches in HCI?
•    How can social technology be employed to catalyze interaction between users in non-virtual space?
•    How can the design of social technology be carried out interdisciplinarily?
•    How do developers’ tacit knowledge and concepts of sociality affect the design of social technologies?
•    How do different degrees of virtuality shape social interaction?
•    How can social technology motivate user interaction and interaction between users (e.g. gamification, proxemics, mobile interaction)?
•    How can virtual and augmented reality be designed to create (virtual) sociality?
•    How can social technology account for user needs? In which ways can systems act proactively?
•    How can we shape user experience of social technologies? How important is it for social technology to be entertaining?
•    How can computer based learning be facilitated by social technologies?

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
We invite you to submit short papers (PDF, between 10.000-25.000 characters including spaces, figure captions, but excluding references) to the program committee ((crossworlds2014 /at/ tu-chemnitz.de)) no later than 31.01.2014. The submissions will be subject to peer reviews. Please make sure, that you remove any author information including author names and references as well as acknowledgments and funding information. However, you should send your author and contact information on a separate cover page for the program committee.
Papers should make absolutely clear what the current status of the proposed work is. A preference is given to finished work ready for presentation (note: this also includes theoretical/conceptual papers, if the concept itself is the main subject of presentation). By submitting a paper the authors agree to personally present their research at the conference.
Conference Papers will not be published/indexed, but are electronically distributed to the conference attendees. However, selected papers will be invited to extend their papers to full papers to be published in an edited collection of the conference proceedings.
Please use the IEEE template for your submission. Further information on the paper layout can be found here:http://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/publishing/templates.html

DEADLINES
CFP-Deadline:            		31.01.14
Notification of acceptance: 	31.03.14
Camera-Ready-Deadline:         	13.04.14
Conference:                 		30.06./01.07.14

ORGANIZING CHAIRS
Andreas Bischof ((andreas.bischof /at/ phil.tu-chemnitz.de))
Benny Liebold ((benny.liebold /at/ phil.tu-chemnitz.de))

PROGRAM CHAIRS
Michael Teichmann ((michael.teichmann /at/ informatik.tu-chemnitz.de))
Michael Heidt ((michael.heidt /at/ informatik.tu-chemnitz.de))

For more detailed information, please visitwww.crossworlds.info/conference

We look forward to meeting you in Chemnitz!